• Show
Clear All

• South Dakota to host Summit League Tourney

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

Mid-Con commissioner impressed with turnout

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: March 23, 2007

The game sold out in fours hours and the fans lucky enough to get tickets began lining up seven hours before tip. When the doors opened, they ran into Frost Arena as if it were Wal-Mart and Thursday night were Black Friday.

This doesn't happen every day in women's basketball, and Mid-Continent Conference Commissioner Tom Douple came to Brookings on Thursday to see what his league - which has accepted South Dakota State beginning next season - is getting into.

"Taking it all in," he said. "It's really great.

They've got a good program. We've been tracking it all year, finally have an opportunity to come watch them play. Any time you sell out 6,000 seats in four hours you're doing it right, and they're to be commended."

They're perhaps putting themselves in position to host the men's and women's Mid-Con tournament.  .  .  .  

"We're hoping they bid on it," said Douple, who stopped by the Arena on Thursday to check out the Sheraton. "Now it's in their court." (read more)

Go State!  

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  . mayb

2 months ago I would have said it would be a near impossibility to get Sioux Falls together enough to put in a good bid. But with the press that SDSU has been getting in the market lately now might be the time to make some inroads with the right people to get things done (I'm thinking Kelby K. as a starter). I really don't think there is any way the Mid-Con will allow a new team to host in their first year of tourney eligibility but getting in the door now with some of these people will go a long way toward things happening in 3-4 years.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I see Sioux Falls warming up to SDSU alot in the future. SDSU will be able to bring some big things to the town. Big tournies and games.

Comment

What about equal time for USD in the Sioux Falls media, after all they are going D1 too? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
          What about equal time for USD in the Sioux Falls media, after all they are going D1 too? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As of right now they don't have a conference that they belong to, therefore no conference tourney to bring to S.F.

I think I see your getting at though. ;D ;D That might be a another whole thread in it self.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            usd is dii and will be until 2008. The hell with dii. ;D

Comment

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  .

The Sioux Falls Sports Authority commission (I think that is the official name) is the group that would most likely put the bid up, and I would be amazed if they don't get a bid in. I would think the only reason they wouldn't is if we would be in the process of building/refurbishing and wouldn't have a facility available. THey may not get the bid, but I suspect they will make one.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The Mid-Con WBB Final drew about 2000 people. The Mid-Con MBB Final drew about 5000 people. Does the Mid-Con want to continue having one city/school host both tournaments. If so, Sioux Falls would stand a decent chance to host them. Tulsa, however, would likely have the upper hand because of recent history and the strong support (relatively speaking) from ORU fans......

If, on the other hand, the Mid-Con wanted to split the tournaments, Sioux Falls would have an excellent opportunity to hos the WBB tournament since SDSU will undoubtedly be the Mid-Con's biggest draw for WBB. I have a hunch that SDSU fans would quickly grab 2000-3000 tournament passes......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                  The Mid-Con WBB Final drew about 2000 people. The Mid-Con MBB Final drew about 5000 people. Does the Mid-Con want to continue having one city/school host both tournaments. If so, Sioux Falls would stand a decent chance to host them. Tulsa, however, would likely have the upper hand because of recent history and the strong support (relatively speaking) from ORU fans......

If, on the other hand, the Mid-Con wanted to split the tournaments, Sioux Falls would have an excellent opportunity to hos the WBB tournament since SDSU will undoubtedly be the Mid-Con's biggest draw for WBB. I have a hunch that SDSU fans would quickly grab 2000-3000 tournament passes......
                  I say a big yes to having the two tournaments in the same city at the same time. This lets fans of the university attend both the women's and the men's games.

On thought that's been bubbling in my head is: SDSU is a basketball school. Many SDSU fans don't really distinguish between men's and women's basketball to the same degree as fans from many other schools do. I think the general attitude is good basketball is good basketball no matter who's playing it. And personally, that's the way I want it to be.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Mid-Con will continue to have both the Men's and Women's tourney in the same city in my opinion. I believe that Sioux Falls has an excellent chance of hosting the tournaments because the rest of the Mid-Con does not always want to go to Tulsa. I believe that the Mid-Con would like the tournament to rotate between a select few cities.

Go State!

Comment

I recently attended the State AA boys basketball tourney at the Sioux Falls Arena. The building is about the same age as I and we both show it. However, the Sioux Falls Arena is a good venue for fans to watch basketball. The sight lines are good from the vast majority of seats. The floor and lighting are good. The only thing I would inquire about if I were the tournament planners is if the protective nets in front of the scoreboards could be removed during basketball games. They really are annoying and downright ugly.

I think that the Sioux Falls area and the Sioux Falls Arena would be an excellent location for future Mid-Con basketball tournaments. I hope that Sioux Falls will bid and that bid will be successful.

Comment

Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'. What does that mean? Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa. Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town? That seems disengenious.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                          Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'. What does that mean? Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa. Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town? That seems disengenious.
                          "neutral" just means not the home arena of a Mid-Con team. The Swiftel Center would, in theory, be a "neutral" site.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                            [quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  
                            "neutral" just means not the home arena of a Mid-Con team.  The Swiftel Center would, in theory, be a "neutral" site.[/quote]
                            Thats kind of bogus if you think about it. I mean the real issue is a big home town crowd really which is gonna happen just in an arena across town in Tulsa.

Comment

Are two venues needed for both tourneys or are the Men's and Women's on different days?

I think their decision would come down to $ and SF will now have some confidence to put up a decent bid. I would think the average BB fan in SF would go, especially with SDSU involved. I don't think being our first year would have anything to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X