Oakland names new women's assistant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland names new women's assistant.

Just got this off the press from an ORU Athletic Department email.
    Nina Stone Named Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach
    For Immediate Release: July 13, 2007
    TULSA – Former Oklahoma State University women’s basketballstandout Nina Stone has been named assistant women’s basketball coachat Oral Roberts, head coach Jerry Finkbeiner announced today.
    Stone will join the ORU staff after having spent the past two years asassistant women’s basketball coach at Daytona Beach Community Collegein Daytona Beach, Fla., as well as playing professional basketball forthe Baloncesto Superior League in Puerto Rico.

“Nina is an outstanding, young coaching prospect,” Finkbeiner said.“She’ll bring two full seasons of international professionalbasketball experience with her, which we will try to work thatexperience in to her recruiting. Nina is a very accomplished playerhaving played in junior college and at Oklahoma State. We are reallygoing to translate all of her experience into coaching.”

The Indianapolis native began her career at Pike High School where sheaveraged 21 points and five rebounds per game as a senior. Stone wasnamed to the Hoosier Basketball Magazine’s top 100 senior high schoolplayers list and was a candidate for the 2001 Indiana Miss Basketballand state all-star honors.

Stone attended Wabash Valley Community College in Mt. Carmel, Ill.,where she was rated as the third-best junior college point guard and No.15 overall player according to the All-Star Girls Report. She was nameda Kodak All-American first team selection after leading the Warriors toa 34-3 record and a fifth-place finish at the NJCAA National Tournamentas a sophomore.

From Wabash Valley, Stone transferred to Oklahoma State in 2004 andsoon put her stamp on Cowgirl nation. After her first season at OSU,Stone was named Big 12 Newcomer of the year and followed it up with aBig 12 honorable mention honor in 2005.

“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to work with this programthat has such a great tradition,” Stone said. “Working with coachessuch as Jerry (Finkbeiner), Misti (Cussen) and Eric (Ely) who haveturned this program around is a tremendous honor for me. I feel blessedto be a part of this team.

“I’m looking forward to learning a lot from the coaches and also tobe working with the athletes,” Stone continued. “Hopefully I will beable to add more to the program to continue the tradition.”
Working...
X