X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPFW names new AD

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...ATCLID=1060882

Bell Named IPFW Director of Athletics

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - IPFW Chancellor Dr. Michael A. Wartell announced this afternoon that he has hired James T. (Tommy) Bell as the new Director of Athletics at IPFW. Bell comes to IPFW from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.

Bell has been the Constituent Development Officer for the Saluki's Department of Athletics since October of 2001. As the Director of Athletic Development, Bell oversaw a staff of two that managed all fundraising efforts within the department. He established the Saluki Athletic Scholarship Fund in the Fall of 2002 and increased that fund by more than 100 percent.

"I am honored and proud to be chosen to lead the Athletic Department at IPFW," Bell said. "This is truly an exciting time in the university's athletic history as we enter The Summit League."

"I am pleased that Tommy is joining the Mastodon family here at IPFW," Chancellor Wartell noted. "He brings to us a wealth of knowledge and experience in NCAA Division I collegiate athletic administration and fund raising. Tommy's high energy level, his people skills, and his natural warmth will make him an instant success in both the Mastodon and Fort Wayne communities. I'm sure that with his abilities and talents, the Mastodons will be reaching new goals in a very short time." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: IPFW names new AD

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...0305/707270310

New AD already has contingency plans for IPFW

By Steve WardenThe Journal Gazette

When Tommy Bell took the athletic director’s job at IPFW this month, he hoped that there would be a smooth transition; a settling-in honeymoon period that would give him time to know the town and to meet his staff and alums. Instead, he’s making provisions to find a new men’s basketball coach, if that action becomes necessary.

Bell, named the IPFW athletic director July 2 to replace Mark Pope, began his first official day July 16, three days after IPFW men’s basketball coach Dane Fife’s name surfaced as a possible replacement for former Ball State coach Ronny Thompson.

When Thompson resigned beneath allegations of NCAA rules infractions, the name of former Indiana University standout Fife was mentioned as a possible successor.

Fife, who has led IPFW to 10 wins his first season and 12 in his second, has gone on record saying that he has not been contacted by Ball State but would entertain a conversation with the university. And that has put Bell in a contingency mode. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
    X