IUPUI's Hunter to Ball State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPUI's Hunter to Ball State

This was posted on another thread, but it also makes sense to place it here as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2963017

IUPUI's Hunter expected to replace Thompson at Ball State

Barring an unexpected impasse, Ball State and IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter are expected to agree on a contract that would make him the new Cardinals coach.

Hunter is the top candidate to replace Ronny Thompson, multiple sources said over the weekend. Thompson abruptly resigned July 13 after one season as Ball State coach after an internal investigation found that he and his staff violated NCAA rules in 2006 and last May by attending voluntary offseason team workouts. The coaches lied about their involvement in the May infraction, the school has said.

Hunter is expected to talk to high-ranking Ball State and IUPUI officials later Monday before an official contract offer is submitted, likely by Tuesday morning. If terms are agreed upon, then Hunter's hiring would be announced as early as Wednesday.

Hunter has strong ties in Indiana, which Thompson and his coaches did not have. Hunter took IUPUI to the NCAA Tournament in 2003 and knows the MAC. He earned a degree from Miami of Ohio in 1986.

Ball State athletic director Tom Collins was looking for a replacement with head coaching experience and connections in the state. There was interest in former Ball State and Houston coach Ray McCallum, now an Indiana assistant, former Western Michigan and South Florida coach Robert McCullum, former Saint Louis coach Brad Soderberg, former Akron coach Dan Hipsher and IPFW coach Dane Fife. . . . (read more)

IUPUI has been picked by many as the favorite to win the Summit League this coming season.

Go State!

Re: IUPUI's Hunter to Ball State

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...438/-1/LOCAL17

Hunter won't seek Ball State coaching job

By Jeff Rabjohns

IUPUI men’s Basketball Coach Ron Hunter has withdrawn from considering to take over the same position at Ball State.

“I was flattered to be in consideration, but I want to be at IUPUI,” Hunter said this morning in a statement. “We look forward to preparing our squad for the 2007-08 season and competing for a Summit League championship.
    “I took the opportunity to explore another professional opportunity, but have ultimately decided that I’m happy at IUPUI.”

Hunter, 43, is heading into his 14th year as head coach at IUPUI. He led the Jaguars to the NCAA tournament in 2003 in only their third season of Division I postseason eligibility, and IUPUI has averaged 19 wins per season for the past five years. One preseason publication has listed the Jaguars as the favorite in the Summit League.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
    X