Election results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election results

Going to test the maturity of the forum members and guests. In a completely objective fashion I would enjoy following the results of the elections today. I also encourage the moderators to allow for this but certainly support any decision they make.

Results don't have to be limited to South Dakota issues. I don't lurk or post on any other forums and feel these results are very interesting and important. That said, its not the right place to debate. I think it will be interesting to say the least.

Lastly, if you haven't voted yet I encourage you to do so.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Election results

So far turnout is looking strong in SD as would be expected with all the ballot measures. Not much else as far as news. I think most now know that exit polls aren't very accurate and will wait until the results start coming in.

Comment

We have a heated race for Gov in Wisconsin. Incumbant Jim Doyle (D) is running against challenger Mark Green (R). The polls as of yesterday had the race at 48% for Doyle and 44% for Green with 8% undecided. We also have a couple interesting ballet issues. One to readdress the death penalty (no death penalty currently in WI) and one regarding gay marriage. Those are the 3 things receiving most of the press. I plan on voting tonight after work.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I voted absentee on Friday and waited at least 15 minutes in line at the Minnehaha county building. sounds like the wait hasn't been much longer than that throughout the day in Sioux Falls, but the after work vote could get it longer. MJA, I would be interested in hearing what the wait times are there tonight, and the results on the statewide stuff as I have several relatives living in your state.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Idaho doesn't have the hot button ballot initiatives that South Dakota has, but we'll get to watch the results for a couple of interesting races.  Idaho is even more red than SD, but a couple of major races were considered tossups when the day began.  In Congressional District 1, Bill Sali -- a complete whacko -- won a bloodbath in the Republican primary and is pitted against the well-organized campaign of Larry Grant, a moderate Dem.  So far, Grant's best ads are old quotes from the state's GOPs calling Sali "a complete idiot," etc.  

The governor's race is also supposed to be a tossup.  Rep. Butch Otter had a 19 point lead in the polls until he tried to sign onto Bush's plan to sell 15% of the nation's national forest land (including 5 million acres in Idaho) to private developers to fund Katrina relief.  Otter's opponent's campaign, claiming  "Idaho is Not For Sale" has cut Otter's lead down to zero.

Comment

Polls scheduled to close in about 15 minutes here east of the river. Hot issues are of course the amendments and proposals as the govenor's race and house race were over when the challengers were nominated. Interesting to see what the voters of SD want. The break down between dems, republicans, indys, metro and rural will also be interesting.

Are they able to provide info with regards to median income, family size, religous belief, etc...? It wouldn't be that hard to break it down with the information now available. I think those numbers would be interesting, too.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I've spent the last couple of elections online watching the results on the secretary of state's web site. Here's the link:

http://www.sdsos.gov/results/RESULTS.HTM

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                I've spent the last couple of elections online watching the results on the secretary of state's web site. Here's the link:

http://www.sdsos.gov/results/RESULTS.HTM
                Excellent link, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                  I voted absentee on Friday and waited at least 15 minutes in line at the Minnehaha county building. sounds like the wait hasn't been much longer than that throughout the day in Sioux Falls, but the after work vote could get it longer. MJA, I would be interested in hearing what the wait times are there tonight, and the results on the statewide stuff as I have several relatives living in your state.
                  The wait times across the greater Milwaukee area was generally pretty long. My wife and I voted around 6:30 and were on the right (west) side of 68th street so we only had to wait approximately 10 minutes. The line for the ward on the east side of 68th was at least 30 minutes. Those who were already registered to vote had a shorter wait. What shocked me was there were easily more people at my voting area than was there for the presidential elections in '04. From what I've read in the paper today, the turnout was huge for the state.

Incumbent Gov. Doyle won in a surprisingly easy election. Implementing the death penalty (advisory only) won handily as did an amendment to change the legal definition of marriage as a union between a "man and a woman". I'll hold my thoughts on the elections in check.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Abortion, no. Lottery, stays. Marriage, man and a woman. Cell phones, tax 'em. Property tax, don't change. Start school when you want to. Mary Jane not legal period. Those are some of the results from SD.

Comment

Huge turnout here in Idaho for some close races. Folks waited over three hours in some precincts to vote last night. Glad I got to the polls right when they opened yesterday.

Question for folks in SD -- How did KELO manage to royally screw up their pre-election polling for the JAIL amendment? KELO reported that their polling suggested the measure was going to pass. In the end, the measure went down in flames 90-10. More than a few people wrote sizeable checks to the JAIL opposition committee when they got news of the KELO poll. Turns out, the sky wasn't falling. My brother jokingly suggested that KELO must have done their scientific poll at the state pen.

Comment

The SD GOP loses five state Senate seats and now has a 20-15 advantage. They gained one House seat and now have a 50-20 margin in there......

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
                          Question for folks in SD -- How did KELO manage to royally screw up their pre-election polling for the JAIL amendment?  KELO reported that their polling suggested the measure was going to pass.  In the end, the measure went down in flames 90-10.  . . . My brother jokingly suggested that KELO must have done their scientific poll at the state pen.  
                          That was my biggest question also. Most of the other polls were relatively close, but they had a 61% approval for JAIL and it got 10%. That is a miss of 50%. Gal at work said they must have been flipping quarters for the results, but I like your brother's response better.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think the SD legislature results are most interesting. The Dem's fielded more candidates and picked up two senate in SF. Sandy Kjerstad, the former
                            Augie softball coach won.

On the amendments and measures, I think the bad laws got voted down esecially the JAIL and property tax ones. I think the Marriage amendment might have some problems down the road as its more than a gay issue, its affects corporations and partnerships. I would look for this law to be before the Supreme Court not too far in the future. I hate to see values and morals legislated whether its in a legislative body or if its done by intititive and referandum. Since SD has had the initiative and referandum since 1898, I think we can expect to see more and more issues on each general election ballot.

Nationally, I am very happy with the results.

Comment

This was a dead race.  I wonder how the campaign and public forums went for this one.  Sounds like a dead heat to me ;D
                              http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061108...t_061108233829

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Marie Steichen died two months ago but she won a battle to become a county commissioner for a small South Dakota town in the US elections, an official said.

Jerauld County auditor Cindy Peterson said that the election list closed on August 1, and while Steichen died from cancer in September her name was kept on the list for Tuesday's election.

Steichen beat a Republican rival by 100 votes to 64 and Peterson said she believed that voters knew the woman was dead but wanted to make their political point.
                              Good Ole Jerauld County.

Comment

Working...
                              X