Holiday Gift Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Gift Ideas

Alright, I was over at the Entertainment section rapping about CDs and books when some of the conversations drifted towards gift ideas. I thought since the vast majority of us on this site are men with significant others, and we all know how well men like to shop for significant others, maybe we could pool our collective thoughts on gift ideas.

I'll get it started. First, here's a little blurb from "the sports guy's" wife on his website on espn.com. May be the best holiday advice I've heard in a while. Amazing what a little woman's perspective will do.

There are two kinds of bad Xmas gifts: Copout Gifts and Just Plain Bad Gifts. Every guy reading this needs to avoid them both. Some examples:

Copout Gifts: (1) a gift certificate to a spa (screams, "I put no thought whatsoever into this" (2) a vacation to any locale that just so happens to have gambling (we're not stupid); (3) a homemade gift certificate promising stuff like taking out the trash, walking the dog, dates or back rubs (cute idea, but they never get turned in and from my experience, they expire); (4) a box of candy (makes us mad because we can't resist and we're already worried about holiday weight); and, of course, (5) cash.

Just Plain Bad Gifts: (1) Any household items like blenders, toasters or anything that has potential to be on a bridal registry (this will really anger a girl if you're not engaged yet); (2) nothing from a mall chain jewelry store unless you're broke (and if you have to, change the box); (3) a sports car for your wife that you know you'll end up driving once you knock her up and she's stuck driving an SUV or minivan; (4) Victoria's Secret nighties that would only look good on one of the mannequins in the store; (5) gym memberships, Jenny Craig or Trim Spa (unless you want to be killed in your sleep).

While we're here, four gifts that will work: (1) a Nano IPod with 100 of her favorite songs already on there; (2) quality cashmere anything (scarf, sweater, hat, gloves); (3) a thoughtful book with a nice note inside; and (4) the "Grey's Anatomy" box set (it's the new "Sex and the City&quot. Also, please don't e-mail Bill to say that I "mailed it in" this week because this stuff is super important. If you still plan on e-mailing him to say that, go to hell.

The Nano Ipod and Grey's Anatomy box set are gold ideas in my opinion. And as a guy who has given the spa thing before, it's nice to know that sort of info.

My own 2 cents.

1) My wife absolutely LOVES David Gray (musician). His latest album "Life In Slow Motion" is an absolute lady killer for whatever reason. Every friend of hers loves it as does she. Good stocking stuffer.

2) My wife needs directions to get around the block and she is the first to admit it (even then she'll get lost). If you're wife is similarly directionally challenged, look for one of those Garmin or similar GPS devices for cars. It's a little more spendy, but also a gift that makes her life easier and shows some thought.

3) Playstation 3. Just checking to see if anyone actually read this far. Sufficit to say, I'm guessing if you gave her a Playstation 3, it would be akin to Homer giving Marge a bowling ball with "Homer" scripted on it for her birthday.

4) Weekend trip already planned and booked to the Twin Cities or whatever larger city is a nice drive away (Milwaukee is 7 hours, Chicago 8 hours from Sioux Falls). Spend the extra $50/night on a good hotel, get advice from the hotel on what is a good restaurant (if you need a suggestion) and get a reservation at that place and just get away for the weekend. If you have kids, this trip has double value because you're getting your wife away from the kids and Elmo for a weekend.

Alright, those are some of my ideas. Fire away fellas.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Re: Holiday Gift Ideas

One of those iHome Clock radios for her iPod or they have a new iPod gadget that will fit under the cupboards in the kitchen. She can listen to tunes when she cooks.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
      One of those iHome Clock radios for her iPod or they have a new iPod gadget that will fit under the cupboards in the kitchen. She can listen to tunes when she cooks.
      I purchased both of these the other day, were you in the store? Nagy was.

My lovely wife will also be getting a gameboy DS-lite, she loves to play tetris when we travel. I do the driving. Several other gifts that no one here cares to hear about.

BTW, I found the iPod kitchen player for $50 bucks less than anywhere else, if you want to know the place send me a PM.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My wife just got me an ipod nano for my b-day.  It's pretty sweet.  It'll come in handy snowboarding/working out/walking the dog.  The only problem I encounterd so far is transferring all our songs from our old media player to itunes.  It (the cpu) said some of the songs were not transferable.  Anyone else have that problem?  Can I download songs from other media players (such as Windows Media Player) directly to my ipod or do I have to use itunes.

I got my wife golf clubs for her B-day...hey, it's what she wanted.  She's been hinting very strongly for an upgraded set of diamond earings for x-mas.  That should be cheap....NOT!  (sorry for this pi s s poor Borat joke reference).

In case anyone cares, here's my x-mas list:

1.  Polaris Hawkeye 4x4 four wheeler with a snow plow.
        2.  2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Send me a P.M. if you wish to help me obtain my x-mas list.  Two gifts is all I'm asking for....

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          In case anyone cares, here's my x-mas list:

1.  Polaris Hawkeye 4x4 four wheeler with a snow plow.
          2.  2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Send me a P.M. if you wish to help me obtain my x-mas list.  Two gifts is all I'm asking for....
          So are you talking full size adult versions, or would you settle for the 1/24th scale versions from Fleet Farm. Could probably do some fund raising for the latter, the former not so much.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

meeting42 banned and IP address blocked.

JackJD

Comment

Working...
            X