A SDSU Ref from the 1950's-1960's Passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A SDSU Ref from the 1950's-1960's Passes away

I not sure were this topic should go, but will put it here for the moderators to move if its not in the right place.

In the late 1950's and early 1960's the NCC allowed each school to hire their own refs for home games. At that time it was a big part of home court advantage. Schools tended to hire the guys who would give you the good calls. Our former AD's were no different.

There were two refs that were hired and rehired as I recall. Eddy Livingston from Sioux Falls and Howard Connors from Vermillion. I think these two also ref'd a number of ESD games as well. Howard Connors made good calls and was almost a wall flower, but his running mate Eddy Livingston was more controversial with his calls. Both were, as I recall, introduced before the game. Eddy used to get lots of boo's and he would respond with a bow to the crowd. Eddy really was funny at times. Howard Connors was grad and a math professor at USD and was well respected. I dont think either of these two refs wanted to lose their extra income from officating so at times the home crowd in the Old Barn were often pleased with the call. Later when we got a full time NCC Commissioner, the commissioner hired and assigned the refs which is what most younger fans can recall. Eddy passed away some years ago, but Howard lived to be 89 according to his obituary.

Here is the link to the Argus obitarary.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ory=OBITUARIES
Working...
X