ESPN Article on Marquete's creative ticket sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Article on Marquete's creative ticket sales

Thought this was a neat article on how Marquete has gotten creative in a tough sports market. I especially like how Marquete treats their AD like a business and are constantly thinking of new ways to get casual fans to buy their product.

I think State's AD has got a good start in the right direction, and we need to keep going forward.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2552239
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: ESPN Article on Marquete's creative ticket sal

That article's a little misleading. Granted, the City of Milwaukee is approx 600,000 in population, but the greater Milwaukee area is closer to 1.5 million. Additionally, the vast majority of those attending Marquette games are living outside of the city of Milwaukee. Most attendees of Marquette games hail from the Brookfield area. The only team that really draws from the city of Milwaukee is the Bucks.

I will say this, Marquette puts on a great show at their basketball games. I think it has as much to do with being able to play in the Bradley Center as it does with creative marketing. For instance, UWM plays just across the street at the US Cellular. The Cell is a nice place to watch a game, but is the ugly cousin to the Bradley. If Marquette was trying to market their product in the Cell, they'd have a much harder sell.

FYI - The Cell holds a ton more people than the Frost, but UWM would take the Frost every day and twice on Sunday if given the opportunity to swap. The Cell just feels way to spread out. The first row of seats on the side of the scoring and player benches is a good 20 feet from the court. And that's where most of the people sit.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      That article's a little misleading.  Granted, the City of Milwaukee is approx 600,000 in population, but the greater Milwaukee area is closer to 1.5 million.  Additionally, the vast majority of those attending Marquette games are living outside of the city of Milwaukee.  Most attendees of Marquette games hail from the Brookfield area.  The only team that really draws from the city of Milwaukee is the Bucks.

I will say this, Marquette puts on a great show at their basketball games.  I think it has as much to do with being able to play in the Bradley Center as it does with creative marketing.  For instance, UWM plays just across the street at the US Cellular.  The Cell is a nice place to watch a game, but is the ugly cousin to the Bradley.  If Marquette was trying to market their product in the Cell, they'd have a much harder sell.  

FYI - The Cell holds a ton more people than the Frost, but UWM would take the Frost every day and twice on Sunday if given the opportunity to swap.  The Cell just feels way to spread out.  The first row of seats on the side of the scoring and player benches is a good 20 feet from the court.  And that's where most of the people sit.  

Totally agree with you MilwaukeeJacks Alum: Frost is far better atmosphere than the "The Cell" for UWM games, but only when Frost gets the fans (ie during the USD games and Div II regional final games).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
        [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1156785738/0#1 date=1156793426]That article's a little misleading. Granted, the City of Milwaukee is approx 600,000 in population, but the greater Milwaukee area is closer to 1.5 million. Additionally, the vast majority of those attending Marquette games are living outside of the city of Milwaukee. Most attendees of Marquette games hail from the Brookfield area. The only team that really draws from the city of Milwaukee is the Bucks.

I will say this, Marquette puts on a great show at their basketball games. I think it has as much to do with being able to play in the Bradley Center as it does with creative marketing. For instance, UWM plays just across the street at the US Cellular. The Cell is a nice place to watch a game, but is the ugly cousin to the Bradley. If Marquette was trying to market their product in the Cell, they'd have a much harder sell.

FYI - The Cell holds a ton more people than the Frost, but UWM would take the Frost every day and twice on Sunday if given the opportunity to swap. The Cell just feels way to spread out. The first row of seats on the side of the scoring and player benches is a good 20 feet from the court. And that's where most of the people sit.

Totally agree with you MilwaukeeJacks Alum: Frost is far better atmosphere than the "The Cell" for UWM games, but only when Frost gets the fans (ie during the USD games and Div II regional final games).
        [/quote]

I dunno, you can put 2,000 in Frost and still have a pretty festive atmosphere. It just gets better with more people. On the other hand, most bigger arenas don't wake up until you get 5 or 6,000 in the seats.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Frost was pretty festive and loud with about 400 volleyball fans saturday afternoon. imagine about 1000 screaming rabbit volleyball fans.

Comment

Working...
          X