Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas-Pan American story

http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProces...Section=Sports
    With the conference shakeups now coming to a standstill and UTPA remaining idle on adding football, it appears that the Broncs are closer to bracing for another decade in the land of Independents than awaiting conference membership and, more importantly, the automatic NCAA postseason qualifiers that come along with league affiliation.

“There is no easy solution,” (UTPA AD Scott) Street said. “We could say we’re going to add football and chances are we could get into a conference. But we don’t want to say that until we know for sure that’s in the best interest of the university. It’s discouraging at times, but eventually it will happen. We want to join a conference, but we also realize being an Independent isn’t the end of the world.

“But as we all know, being in a conference would make everything so much easier.”
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Texas-Pan American story

I'm just curious... What did UTPA do to get booted from the Sun Belt Conference?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

NCAA rules violations, leading to a vote by the members of the Sun Belt.

Go State!  

Comment

Must have been some serious violations to make them a paraiah!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The Mid-Con's gain is the UBC's loss.

UTPA snubbed again

September 05,2006
          Wade Baker
          Monitor Deputy Sports Editor

EDINBURG — So much for the United Basketball Conference.

With Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne, North Dakota State and South Dakota State accepting memberships to the Mid-Continent Conference late last week, it means that the first season of the makeshift six-team Independent basketball conference — also involving the University of Texas-Pan American, Utah Valley State and New Jersey Institute of Technology — could be its last.

The proposed non-NCAA sanctioned conference was announced in January and was to give the six members a guaranteed 10-game home-and-home schedule in men’s and women’s basketball at the end of the season. Independents struggle that time of year to schedule games against conference opponents, who are involved in league play.

The three schools begin their Mid-Con membership effective next summer.

"I’m happy for those schools. I know they worked hard to get into that position, just like we’ve been working hard over here," UTPA Director of Athletics Scott Street said. "From the United Basketball Conference standpoint, we’re losing three of our members. But we’ll take our three core members now and work toward adding three more.

"I’ll begin working the phones immediately." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            The Mid-Con's gain is the UBC's loss.

UTPA snubbed again

September 05,2006
            Wade Baker
            Monitor Deputy Sports Editor

EDINBURG — So much for the United Basketball Conference.

With Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne, North Dakota State and South Dakota State accepting memberships to the Mid-Continent Conference late last week, it means that the first season of the makeshift six-team Independent basketball conference — also involving the University of Texas-Pan American, Utah Valley State and New Jersey Institute of Technology — could be its last.

The proposed non-NCAA sanctioned conference was announced in January and was to give the six members a guaranteed 10-game home-and-home schedule in men’s and women’s basketball at the end of the season. Independents struggle that time of year to schedule games against conference opponents, who are involved in league play.

The three schools begin their Mid-Con membership effective next summer.

"I’m happy for those schools. I know they worked hard to get into that position, just like we’ve been working hard over here," UTPA Director of Athletics Scott Street said. "From the United Basketball Conference standpoint, we’re losing three of our members. But we’ll take our three core members now and work toward adding three more.

"I’ll begin working the phones immediately."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

It's funny that they mention Chicago State "leaving on their own terms." This is definitely not the case, as it was "slightly suggested" that they leave the conference with their pending NCAA violations, similar to what happened at UTPA. I guess they are trying to be on good terms with CSU.

Comment

Working...
            X