• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW-Green Bay schedule story

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...1225/GPGsports

Men's basketball: Phoenix may be tested by early road games

By Rob Demovsky

For the first time in coach Tod Kowalczyk's tenure at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, his team will enter a season as one of the Horizon League's favorites.

The question is: Was Kowalczyk able to put together a tough enough schedule to prepare his club for a title run?

The Phoenix will play only two non-conference games against teams that played in the NCAA Tournament last season. Both of those — against Wisconsin (on Nov. 15) and Michigan State (Dec. 23) — will be on the road.

UWGB, which returns all five starters from last year's 15-16 team, plays two regular-season games against non-Division I opponents (Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan) and two more against teams relatively new to Division I (North Dakota State and South Dakota State). UWGB's non-league Division I opponents had a combined record of 143-184 last season.

"I think it is (tough enough), and the biggest reason is because we have six of our first seven on the road," Kowalczyk said. "That to me is a big challenge because, obviously, we want to start off on the right foot, but I think it's a schedule that can give us confidence if we start out well." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: UW-Green Bay schedule story

I went to school at UWGB for a semester (then I realized how much I missed SDSU and came home!) as a part of National Student Exchange.

Their program has been a bit down the past few years, especially after Brent Norgaard graduated in 1995. I can still remember watching them knock off Jason Kidd and Cal in "March Madness". Women's team is pretty solid, though.

The Phoenix Center is a nice facility, but I remember the men's team played at the Brown County Auditorium. And from what I heard, it was a bit of a hole... Are they still playing there?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Re: UW-Green Bay schedule story

Originally posted by jackrabit1
      I went to school at UWGB for a semester (then I realized how much I missed SDSU and came home!) as a part of National Student Exchange.

Their program has been a bit down the past few years, especially after Brent Norgaard graduated in 1995. I can still remember watching them knock off Jason Kidd and Cal in "March Madness". Women's team is pretty solid, though.

The Phoenix Center is a nice facility, but I remember the men's team played at the Brown County Auditorium. And from what I heard, it was a bit of a hole... Are they still playing there?
      The UWGB Mens Team plays at a very nice facility now. The Resch Center, which opened up in 2002. It seats over 10,000. And are you talking about Jeff Nordgaard.

Comment

Working...
      X