• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folks in Lincoln not happy about D-I UNO talk

Saw this over on the Bison board.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...7238901923.txt

Regents need to clarify role of UNO sports

Collegiate athletics has a way of becoming the tail that wags the dog.

Now that a scandal over use of athletic funds for luxury items has prompted University of Nebraska at Omaha Chancellor Nancy Belck and UNO vice chancellor Jim Buck to resign, the NU board of regents needs to establish an overall framework for athletics in the NU system.

Not all Husker football fans may be aware that some Omahans are talking seriously about moving the UNO Maverick football program to Division I competition.

From the UNO point of view the move is not all that far-fetched. Competition in Division II has been depleted as teams have jumped to Division I. The North Central Conference used to be one of Division II’s strongest conferences. But North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and now North Dakota have either moved to Division I or plan to move.

But if UNO follows them into Division I, what would the ramifications be?

UNO already has sucked $2 million worth of tax funds and student fees out of the system to cover athletic department deficits.

Would it be fair to UNL, and fair to Husker fans all over the world, if the state’s taxpayers prop up athletic programs at UNO, while the UNL programs attempt to remain self-supporting? . . . (read more)

Sounds like if Big Red has it's way UNO will be D-II (or maybe D-III) forever.

Go State!

Re: Folks in Lincoln not happy about D-I UNO talk

Looks like Battleship Cornhusker is going to action stations against the S.S. Maverick.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If that is the case then SS can only refer to Sunken Ship

Comment

I'm sure if UNO moved up UNL just wouldn't be able to find funds. ;D

Comment

Wow I didn't think the Huskers were afraid of ANY one. Are they scared of playing UNO??
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

You would think that UNL would relish the thought of crushing UNO on a regular basis......unless they think that:
            1) UNO could eventually con its way into I-A and siphon off support and money from UNL, and/or
            2) UNL would embarass themselves and lose to the Mavs in basketball.

The thinking in Lincoln is probably: Why should we have competition? We are the mighty Huskers, after all!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              Saw this over on the Bison board.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...7238901923.txt

Regents need to clarify role of UNO sports

Collegiate athletics has a way of becoming the tail that wags the dog.

Now that a scandal over use of athletic funds for luxury items has prompted University of Nebraska at Omaha Chancellor Nancy Belck and UNO vice chancellor Jim Buck to resign, the NU board of regents needs to establish an overall framework for athletics in the NU system.

Not all Husker football fans may be aware that some Omahans are talking seriously about moving the UNO Maverick football program to Division I competition.

From the UNO point of view the move is not all that far-fetched. Competition in Division II has been depleted as teams have jumped to Division I. The North Central Conference used to be one of Division II’s strongest conferences. But North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and now North Dakota have either moved to Division I or plan to move.

But if UNO follows them into Division I, what would the ramifications be?

UNO already has sucked $2 million worth of tax funds and student fees out of the system to cover athletic department deficits.

Would it be fair to UNL, and fair to Husker fans all over the world, if the state’s taxpayers prop up athletic programs at UNO, while the UNL programs attempt to remain self-supporting?  .  .  .  (read more)

Sounds like if Big Red has it's way UNO will be D-II (or maybe D-III) forever.

Go State!  

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most interesting part of this article: "Husker fans all over the world." I understand that people from other countries go to US schools, but that makes it sound like Nebraska has a huge worldwide audience, which is ridiculous.

Comment

When you grow up near Husker fans you understand and take for granted their over exaggerated sense of self worth.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                X