University of Central Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Central Missouri

Formerly Central Missouri State University . . .
    AP article via the Kansas City Star:
    President Aaron Podolefsky said the previous name reflected a regional focus.

"And this name," he said, "highlights our aspirations to be what our visions says: 'To be a nationally recognized comprehensive university that delivers a world class university education by providing a small college learning environment, coupled with large university opportunities.'"

Legislation that Gov. Matt Blunt signed in March 2005 gave the school until August 2007 to decide whether to adopt the new name.

Central Missouri State was one of several schools allowed to change their names to build support among lawmakers for a bill that dropped the regional designator from Southwest Missouri State University in Springfield. The legislation also replaced the title "college" with "university" for Missouri Western State in St. Joseph and Harris-Stowe State in St. Louis and dropped the city designator from Missouri Southern State University-Joplin.
    . . .
    Podolefsky noted that the new name would symbolize a "transformation of the institution to the next level of excellence." Plans include adding new graduate and preprofessional programs.
    CMSU, er, UCM is another of the regional D-II schools which occasionally make various people's lists of Schools Which Could Someday Move Up To D-I.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: University of Central Missouri

I'm not sure about there other sports but they could certainly make the jump in baseball.  They've been one of the powerhouse D-II programs in the midwest since the early to mid 90's.  They've got plenty of support financially for the baseball program also.  I know when State played there in 2000 they had just recently received a $1 million dollar gift to improve their baseball facilities.  

“Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Working...
    X