X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Article on Central Arkansas

UCA sets fourth consecutive enrollment record
    http://www.uca.edu/web/weblog/index.php?itemid=1473

The University of Central Arkansas has set another record enrollment this fall of 12,400 students, making UCA the second largest college in Arkansas.

Since Lu Hardin assumed the presidency in September 2002, UCA has added nearly 4,000 students, increasing from 8,500 students to 12,400 students. This represents a 46 percent increase in four years. “I am very pleased at where UCA’s enrollment stands at the present time,” Hardin said. “Not only have we increased our enrollment by 4,000 students, but we are getting better students. The average ACT of entering freshmen has improved from 23.1 to 23.5 and our graduation rate has increased from 48 percent to 52 percent in that time period. Our Honors College, established in 1983, has grown to 600 students with an average ACT of 31, ensuring not only an increase in quantity but an increase in quality.”

U.S. News & World Report recently ranked UCA 61st in the South in academic excellence, marking the first year that UCA has been ranked. UCA was the only public Arkansas university in that category.

“I attribute our growth to our marketing campaign and simply making people aware that one of the most beautiful universities in the South exists within a 25 minute drive of Little Rock. UCA has always been an outstanding university; we simply have told the story," Hardin said.

UCA will spend at least one year in the 12,000 student range in order to catch-up with infrastructure needs and then re-evaluate the long-term enrollment goal.

Re: Interesting Article on Central Arkansas

As I recall we had a similar "growth spurt" in the early 90's during the Mickelson era that was squashed by Janklow and the legislature at the time. The spurt strained our infrastructure quite a bit. I remember day rooms full of college freshman, 8 guys in a day room. That would have sucked.

I hope our legislators have the foresight to recognize the need to grow the states best institution and provide the funds to do just that. The payback will include improved recruitment, education, and eventually retention of the best students.

Guys like Kloucek need to go (if they haven't already).
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Interesting Article on Central Arkansas

Originally posted by jackmd
      As I recall we had a similar "growth spurt" in the early 90's during the Mickelson era that was squashed by Janklow and the legislature at the time.  The spurt strained our infrastructure quite a bit.  I remember day rooms full of college freshman, 8 guys in a day room.  That would have sucked.

I hope our legislators have the foresight to recognize the need to grow the states best institution and provide the funds to do just that.  The payback will include improved recruitment, education, and eventually retention of the best students.

Guys like Kloucek need to go (if they haven't already).
      I been told that most of the folks in the legislature know Kloucek very well. They seem to be amused with his legislation and seldom does any of it go anywhere so he is kind of harmless from what I been told. The D1 issue was just fodder for recognition that he seldom gets.

Watch out for Greenfield from Clark, he is the guy who cut PBS by 500,000 and since he survived his primary race, he probably is unopposed.  I think he has something to do with appropriations and could impact higher education. I dont know where he stands on this issue.  I am hoping with more two party races that the legislature will be challenged to do more for higher education. Candidate for Gov, Jack Billion seems to be passionate about doing something, but he has spent very little on ads and is not getting his message out except for debates at Dakota Fest and the State Fair.

Its really up to Chicoine as he has to carry the gaunlet after Jan 1, 2007. He has a big job ahead of him.

Comment

Working...
      X