Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy News from Northern Colorado

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2585781

GREELEY, Colo. -- The University of Northern Colorado's reserve punter was arrested Tuesday, accused of stabbing his rival in his kicking leg.

Mitch Cozad, a sophomore from Wheatland, Wyo., allegedly attacked starting punter Rafael Mendoza in a parking lot in Evans on Monday night, Evans police Lt. Gary Kessler said.

Mendoza, the Bears' first-string punter from Thornton, was treated and released from the North Colorado Medical Center Monday night. Coach Scott Downing said Mendoza will not punt for UNC in Saturday's game at Texas State University.

"I don't know how long he'll be out because I haven't talked to the doctor," Downing said.

Cozad, Mendoza and freshman Zak Bigelow had been in a three-way race for the starting punter's job in preseason training. Mendoza has averaged 37.6 yards per punt on nine punts in the two games so far this season.

Cozad is facing second-degree assault charges and was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday for a bond hearing. He was suspended from the team, evicted from his residence and expelled from school on Tuesday, The Greeley Tribune reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Re: Crazy News from Northern Colorado

Wow, it's like Nancy Carigan and Tanya Harding all over again. ;D ;D ;D

Well the Big Sky selected UNC to get more media coverage, I'm not sure this is the type of coverage they were expecting. It is too bad that one guy can ruin the reputation of an entire team. Glad to see him expelled from school.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

So, with UNC fans can we now use "At least our punter didn't stab someone" as a smack comeback?
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I believe the ALMIGHTY Global Moderator would consider that a "personal attack" on another member. (Both the knifing and ensueing verbal warfare.)

Comment

nothing says "rich football tradition" like stabbing your punter in the leg.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

If they had stayed DII this incident probably would have never happened.

Seriously, what's the logic this guy had? I think I should be starting punter. Someone else is in front of me on the depth chart. If I stab him he can't kick, thus I become #1 on the depth chart. Sounds like plan.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Good day for crazy news all over the world. Raccoons stealing kid's homework and punters getting stabbed.

LARGO - Brenda Dannewitz has heard a lot of excuses about missing homework during her 22 years as a chorus teacher.

"I've heard 'My dog's eaten my music,' 'My little brother ripped my music because he's mad at me,' 'It's in Dad's car and I'm at Mom's,' " said Dannewitz, who teaches at Osceola Middle School.

But the story 13-year-old Stephanie King told Thursday beat them all:

"I explained that the raccoon fell from the ceiling in my bathroom and it ran into my bedroom ... and animal control came out to get it and they couldn't catch it and they said we couldn't go in my room," Stephanie said.

The best part of the story - it's true.

On Friday, Stephanie's grandmother and legal guardian, Natalie King, talked to school officials about the missing homework. "I told them she can't get her homework, her books, because everything is locked in the bedroom," King said.
              http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/09/So...raccoon_.shtml

Sorry for taking this off topic but with crazy news like punters getting stabbed this had to come.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
                http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2585781

GREELEY, Colo. -- The University of Northern Colorado's reserve punter was arrested Tuesday, accused of stabbing his rival in his kicking leg.

Mitch Cozad, a sophomore from Wheatland, Wyo., allegedly attacked starting punter Rafael Mendoza in a parking lot in Evans on Monday night, Evans police Lt. Gary Kessler said.

Mendoza, the Bears' first-string punter from Thornton, was treated and released from the North Colorado Medical Center Monday night. Coach Scott Downing said Mendoza will not punt for UNC in Saturday's game at Texas State University.

"I don't know how long he'll be out because I haven't talked to the doctor," Downing said.

Cozad, Mendoza and freshman Zak Bigelow had been in a three-way race for the starting punter's job in preseason training. Mendoza has averaged 37.6 yards per punt on nine punts in the two games so far this season.

Cozad is facing second-degree assault charges and was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday for a bond hearing. He was suspended from the team, evicted from his residence and expelled from school on Tuesday, The Greeley Tribune reported.

I think I speak for all of us when I say... W T F??
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
                  I believe the ALMIGHTY Global Moderator would consider that a "personal attack" on another member. (Both the knifing and ensueing verbal warfare.)
                  Not unless one or the other is the stabber or the stab-ee.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                    [quote author=rabbit_tracks link=1158155781/0#0 date=1158155781]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2585781

I think I speak for all of us when I say... W T F??[/quote]

I think that's probably the best and most appropriate reaction . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1

I think I speak for all of us when I say... W T F??
                      Sums up what I was thinking very nicely.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

we had a nice debate about this issue in my intro to ethics class at 1:00. we came up with this idea. It is bad to stab your punter, even if he is your rival.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                          we had a nice debate about this issue in my intro to ethics class at 1:00. we came up with this idea. It is bad to stab your punter, even if he is your rival.
                          Ethics class is obviously off to a good start . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I saw the story link on ESPN, but they didn't mention the school and I figured it wasn't a big name. Little did I know it was another Colorado school with issues...

Comment

Just saw the story on SportsCenter.

The positive spin...
                              Any publicity is good publicity????????

Comment

Working...
                              X