• Show
Clear All

• USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61129018

USD confirms it will jump to Division I sports; follows lead of SDSU
    By TERRY VANDROVEC
    Argus Leader
    PUBLISHED: November 29, 2006

VERMILLION – University of South Dakota President James Abbott said this afternoon that the school will jump up to NCAA Division I sports.

USD has been studying whether it can afford to move from Division II to the higher league, a move that would involve boosting the school's sports budget and likely investments in new facilities.

South Dakota State University and North Dakota State recently made the move, and the University of North Dakota this year announced it would follow their lead.

USD will hold a press conference at 2:30.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: USD (Coyotes) Go D-I

They've already changed the title of the article. Funny stuff.

Now it reads:

USD confirms it will jump to Division I sports ;D ;D ;D ;D
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Probably to differentiate that the announcement HAS been made, not WILL be made...

Still, a nice little dig by Terry! It's nice to have someone getting in potshots for us down at the "Minnesota Avenue Ivory Tower!"

And besides, Filbert grabbed the original title onto the board, so it'll stay here FOREVER!!! HAHAHAHA!!!
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
        Probably to differentiate that the announcement HAS been made, not WILL be made...

Still, a nice little dig by Terry! It's nice to have someone getting in potshots for us down at the "Minnesota Avenue Ivory Tower!"
        Terry in his writing strikes me as an equal-opportunity pot-shotter. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Rumor down southeast is that Abbott will soon be announcing some "large" donations to the athletic dept. Those spreading the rumor have no details so I have no idea if they mean corporate sponsorships, buildings, estates, endowments or cash. I guess we will see. A whole pile of money would sure make it easier for coyote athletics.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Don't matter, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 2-and-1 deal if they wanted to play us. THEN go back to the home and home
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

2007-08 will be their exploratory year.

Their first year of full D-I eligibility will be 2012-13, if I'm counting correctly.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                2007-08 will be their exploratory year.

Their first year of full D-I eligibility will be 2012-13, if I'm counting correctly.
                That is correct...putting them 4 years behind us in this process.

Comment

Interesting question from one of the KWSN guys (Bob, I guess, I have no idea who he is):

"Why didn't USD go D-I when SDSU did?"

I think you'll hear that question a lot from people who haven't really been paying attention . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From what I've heard, you won't have to worry about watching a JACKS vs. Yotes game at the Dome or in SF until at least 2014, if at all.

"Go through life trying not to burn bridges that you may NEED to cross again one day."
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I'm having a good old time listening to KWSN over the web . . .

They're saying that since USD's exploratory year is next year, that this (2006-07) will be the last year of USD in the NCC.

WRONG!!!

Hey, guys, an exploratory year gives schools a year to back out of the D-I process. They will play a full D-II schedule next year, just like SDSU did during our exploratory year of 2003-04.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Paraphrasing, President Abbott on KWSN:

We were forced to go DI by UNO and Augie. Otherwise we would be staying in the NCC.

We voted for going DI before we voted against going DI.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

"We were forced to go D-1" doesn't sound like much of an endorsement from Abbott. When it comes to flip-flopping, he has learned well from the masters of it...........

Comment

Well, he IS a Democrat! ;D

HEY!

Who threw that shoe?

Come on, season of peace and all that jazz?
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Let's be careful treading into politics . . .

Isn't Jackrabbit vs. Coyote enough of a rivalry?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X