• Show
Clear All

• SIU-Edwardsville looking at D-I

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...4?OpenDocument

Businesses hope SIUE will upgrade sports

By Adam Jadhav
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/07/2006

EDWARDSVILLE — As Southern Illinois University Edwardsville mulls a step up to NCAA Division I sports, business leaders are embracing the idea because of the boost in prestige and tourism dollars.

A task force at the university, long a commuter college and somewhat unknown outside the Metro East area, has been studying and compiling data for more than a year on a possible graduation for SIUE from NCAA Division II.

A final public hearing is set for Friday, and local business groups on both sides of the Mississippi are trying to rally support for just such a move.

The earliest a decision on whether to make the move probably would come is in March, but then it would take five years to make the transition to Division I. . . . (read more)

Seems like their could be a lot of schools looking to find conference homes soon. Glad we already have ours! 8-)

Go State!

Re: SIU-Edwardsville looking at D-I

If they did go D1, how would this affect the Gateway. I can understand that the Gateway wouldn't want to add them right away until a few years of transition are over, but it might make them sit back and wait to add teams. Youngstown State could quit bitching about travel if a regional team was added.
    Will this affect the State's chances at the Gateway??
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd
      If they did go D1, how would this affect the Gateway.  I can understand that the Gateway wouldn't want to add them right away until a few years of transition are over, but it might make them sit back and wait to add teams.  Youngstown State could quit bitching about travel if a regional team was added.
      Since SIU-Edwardsville doesn't play football and the Gateway is a football only conference, I don't think it will have any effect.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        [quote author=Go_Herd link=1165677513/0#1 date=1165678498]If they did go D1, how would this affect the Gateway.  I can understand that the Gateway wouldn't want to add them right away until a few years of transition are over, but it might make them sit back and wait to add teams.  Youngstown State could quit bitching about travel if a regional team was added.
        Since SIU-Edwardsville doesn't play football and the Gateway is a football only conference, I don't think it will have any effect.  

Go State!  
        [/quote]

Ok good, didn't know that SIU-E didn't play football. Apologies for the ignorance!

Comment

No big deal. SIU-E could hurt UND and USD chances of getting an invite from the Mid-Con someday as SIU-E is in the heart of Mid-Con Country.

Go State!

Comment

yeah definetly, if there is one thing that we have learned about DI is the landscape of teams and conferences are always changing, and that nothing can be implied or counted on as far as conferences or affiliations.

Comment

I really hope that they go D-I and get into the mid-con. Having them in would be huge for bball recruiting in Illinois for us, and a lot of other conference members. Getting them in will only make the whole conference stronger just from having a better way to recruit bball talent in Illinois.

Comment

I believe Nagy did a stint at Edwardsville as an assistant before coming here.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  I believe Nagy did a stint at Edwardsville as an assistant before coming here.
                  You are correct, bluehat! SIU-E was Nagy's last stop as an assistant before coming back to SDSU as head coach.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...aff/NagyScott/

Comment

Working...
                  X