Clear All

• Terry's Trek

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

Life on the highway: 1,100 miles in 3 days
    Caffeine is reporter's best friend on road trip

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    PUBLISHED: December 11, 2006

So entertained by the afternoon lineup on a Twin Cities sports-talk station, I nearly miss the milestone. Crossing over the Red River now ... make that seven states and more than 1,100 miles in 50 hours for me and my trusty Toyota Camry, just to cover two South Dakota State basketball games and spend my 28th birthday with my wife and daughter in Fargo.

Fortunately, the trip was fairly uneventful due to the lack of precipitation, but because uneventful doesn't fill column inches, the mundane highlights:

Wednesday, 2 p.m.

Only two things will get me through this drive: caffeine and sports radio. I'm doing OK on the soda front because the good people of Coca Cola are fairly consistent in their work, but this Kansas City talk-show host is spending way too much time drumming up support for a local charity. Don't get me wrong; I'm in favor of helping the less fortunate - except when I'm stricken by blinding pain in my left hip socket just four hours into the trip. If I had access to, say, a dull rock, I might consider a do-it-yourself amputation. Somebody, PLEASE entertain me. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Terry's Trek

I have to say. This guy is changing the face of Argus Sports. Thank heavens for T.V.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Re: Terry's Trek

I've been very impressed with Terry. He busts his butt and doesn't "Phone it in" (are you listening, Stu Whitney?)

Someone with that talent and that much drive is going to go far in the Gannett organization. I fear that Terry's gonna catch some big wig's attention and that'll be the last we'll see of him. Great for him, bad for us.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
      X