Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monson resigns as coach at Minnesota

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Minnesota coach Dan Monson is resigning and assistant Jim Molinari will become the interim head coach, The Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported Thursday, citing a team source.

The newspaper reported Monson told his coaching staff of his intentions on Thursday morning. The university has called a 4 p.m. ET news conference, according to the report

More at link...
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: Monson resigns as coach at Minnesota

Well, the mess is Gopherdom keeps getting worse and worse. Monson isn't really the problem here; the athletic department at Minnesota is rapdily becoming an embarassment to Minnesotans and the Big Ten.

Getting ready of Monson may be a good thing, but firing A.D. Maturi and revamping the entire department is a necessity. Yikes, they won't allow their baseball coach to collect donations (which appear to be readily available) for a ballpark or give their esteemed wrestling coach a long-term deal. Meanwhile, it seems like the inflationary costs for their football stadium are increasing faster than their list of donors........

Food for thought: How long before the MN media starts speculating that NDSU's Tim "I can't win at Frost" Miles should be a front-runner for the job?

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78

Food for thought: How long before the MN media starts speculating that NDSU's Tim "I can't win at Frost" Miles should be a front-runner for the job?
      Don't know about the MN media, but there are already numerous threads on bisonville worried about losing him :. Tim Miles is a good coach, but no where near Big Ten qualified.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
        Well, the mess is Gopherdom keeps getting worse and worse. Monson isn't really the problem here; the athletic department at Minnesota is rapdily becoming an embarassment to Minnesotans and the Big Ten.

Getting ready of Monson may be a good thing, but firing A.D. Maturi and revamping the entire department is a necessity. Yikes, they won't allow their baseball coach to collect donations (which appear to be readily available) for a ballpark or give their esteemed wrestling coach a long-term deal. Meanwhile, it seems like the inflationary costs for their football stadium are increasing faster than their list of donors........

In terms of the Basketball Program I think Monson has been the problem for a long time.  I don't think Miles has a legitimate shot at the job.  

Comment

My pick for the Minnesota job is former Gopher and NBA player Trent Tucker. He recently went back and got his degree which was a prerequisite.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
            [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1164914817/0#1 date=1164918104]

Don't know about the MN media, but there are already numerous threads on bisonville worried about losing him  :.  Tim Miles is a good coach, but no where near Big Ten qualified.[/quote]

I'm sure everyone in Coyoteville is nervous about Boots leaving "the u" for "THE U OF M" as well! They have nothing to worry about since going from being a Coyote to a Gopher would be a significant slide down the food chain! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My take is that Monson was scared to death about the Jackrabbits coming to town next week and finishing the job that NDSU couldn't get done in football!

Hey, now!!! How's that for a prediction!

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Boots won't even be considered for the Minnesota job. He has been an above average coach but not a great coach. The coach from Winona (Leaf) would be considered before Boots IMO. If Boots left for another job I really wouldn't lose sleep over it. As a D1 program in transition I am not sure that Boots is the right guy to take the Coyotes to D1 but I am not sure he isn't either. I am just indifferent on Boots. I wouldn't lose sleep over losing him. I think with a nationwide search the Coyotes could probably do a bit better.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                Boots won't even be considered for the Minnesota job.  He has been an above average coach but not a great coach.  The coach from Winona (Leaf) would be considered before Boots IMO.  If Boots left for another job I really wouldn't lose sleep over it.  As a D1 program in transition I am not sure that Boots is the right guy to take the Coyotes to D1 but I am not sure he isn't either.  I am just indifferent on Boots.  I wouldn't lose sleep over losing him.  I think with a nationwide search the Coyotes could probably do a bit better.  
                I believe its called sarcasm Coyote_Fan.

The 5 smiley faces in Superbunny's post should have been enough for you to realize it

Comment

Local media is mentioning Flip Saunders and Rick Majerus at the top of their wishlist.  Dan Barrero on KFAN was actually interviewing Majerus on the drive time tonight. Majerus sounds pretty content with his gig calling one game a weekend and spending the rest of his time with his ailing mother. Trent Tuckers biggest drawback is lack of coaching experience.  But, as was mentioned before, he did finish his degree so that he could be in a position to take over the Gophers (I heard interviews in the past where he stated he was finishing his degree so that he could get a college head coaching job).

Will be interesting to see how the Gophs play their first few games with a new coach.

Go Jacks!

*Edit* There was a brief mention of Dave Boots as a candidate, but only if every other coach on the planet turned Maturi down ;D
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                    Local media is mentioning Flip Saunders and Rick Majerus at the top of their wishlist.  Dan Barrero on KFAN was actually interviewing Majerus on the drive time tonight. Majerus sounds pretty content with his gig calling one game a weekend and spending the rest of his time with his ailing mother. Trent Tuckers biggest drawback is lack of coaching experience.  But, as was mentioned before, he did finish his degree so that he could be in a position to take over the Gophers (I heard interviews in the past where he stated he was finishing his degree so that he could get a college head coaching job).

Will be interesting to see how the Gophs play their first few games with a new coach.

Go Jacks!

*Edit* There was a brief mention of Dave Boots as a candidate, but only if every other coach on the planet turned Maturi down ;D
                    Majerus was mentioned for the Badgers gig a couple years back, too. He thought about it for about a day before deciding he'd rather do the ESPN thing without the stress of coaching. He is a Wisconite at heart and the program was fresh off a Final Four appearance, so if he turned that job down, I doubt he'd take the UM gig when the program is in shambles.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

First off, I would agree with 79 in that Miles is nowhere near qualified enough for the MN job. I don't believe he will be considered for the job. However, look how terrible the program has been over the years. They had a good run one year with Haskins (sp?) and Bobby Jackson, but otherwise they've been horrible for about 10-15 years. Again, I don't think a coach like Miles has a chance but they're not going to be looking at top-tier coaches for this position. They're going to end up with a lifelong assistant or a mid-major type of coach. They're certainly not going to get an established coach to take a position at a doormat even if they are in the Big Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                        First off, I would agree with 79 in that Miles is nowhere near qualified enough for the MN job.  I don't believe he will be considered for the job.  However, look how terrible the program has been over the years.  They had a good run one year with Haskins (sp?) and Bobby Jackson, but otherwise they've been horrible for about 10-15 years.  Again, I don't think a coach like Miles has a chance but they're not going to be looking at top-tier coaches for this position.  They're going to end up with a lifelong assistant or a mid-major type of coach.  They're certainly not going to get an established coach to take a position at a doormat even if they are in the Big Ten.
                        I think he will get a look but that is about it. There are too many people in the Twin Cities who know of Coach Miles for him not to get a look. In the long run, I think the Gopher want a higher profile name than Miles.

Comment

More problems at Minnesota

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2695092

Comment

Working...
                          X