Future SDSU/USD matchups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future SDSU/USD matchups

Now that the 'Yotes have decided to move up to Division 1, the question arises "when will SDSU and USD play again?" Some fans likely want to see the 'Yotes come to Brookings and gets their a!@#% kicked while some will never want to see them the twerps from Verminville again.

I could live without ever playing USD again, especially considering the high disdain and disrespect they have shown SDSU. If we do play them, our teams shouldn't step foot in Verminville until they have finished their transition. After all, they refused to help us when we started our transition. Besides a 59-0 game in two or three years wouldn't really be good football to watch........

Re: Future SDSU/USD matchups

I totally agree, let them pay their dues in the reclassification process. Although they'll start calling us chicken well before that time is over.

Comment

I left South Dakota before many of you were born (1967). I've only returned on about ten occasions over the last forty years. I've lived in Oklahoma-- where there was healthy competition between OU and OSU, but probably less heated than in South Dakota; Wisconsin, where UW tried to be the only (football) game in town; Georgia, where there was a lot of nudging between UGA and Georgia Tech; and Missouri-- where a certain state senator filibustered over several legislative sessions to keep SMS from becoming Missouri State. However, the hatred on this board against USD is unbelievable.

I remember rabbits and an occasional coyote hurling from the stands at games along with a whiskey bottle or two. I remember going to games at Vermillion and Brookings where the dancing and drinking would start at ten in the morning, you'd stand in line for two hours, and be hung over by the time the varsity game started. Hell, I always thought that was a lot of fun-- a lot more than playing Oral Roberts would be.

Before the Internet and SDSU's move to Division I, I had totally lost interest. SDSU isn't covered very aggressively in the St. Louis Post Dispatch. I understand that NDSU and SDSU would have liked USD and UND to move up when they did but I can't quite figure out this level of hatred.

I live in a medium sized suburban county whose population is roughly half that of the state of South Dakota. I run into the save fifty people in leadership positions over and over again. If half of us didn't get along with the other half because of some college rivalry gone bad it would be real bad for all sorts of things affecting the area (and this is an area where, when they ask you where you went to school, they mean HIGH school).

Time to get over it people. South Dakota's so small that graduates from the two largest schools can't be dissing each other over some kind of pissing contest that happened five years ago.

I hope the Jacks move to the Gateway because then I'll be able to see them. If they don't (or even if they do), I hope the Coyotes and Sioux have a nice home in the Great West. The Mid-Con is probably big enough, but if Centenary goes back to the NAIA where they belong I can't believe that USD and/or UND wouldn't be a good fit. From 600 miles away they both sound like better programs than a good share of of those in the Mid-Con--- or other surrounding schools for that matter. Truth is, if Austin Peay and Southeast Missouri have been Division I for years all four major universities in the Dakotas should have done so a long time ago.

Comment

Oh yeah... one other thing.

Where would SDSU be if other D-1 schools refused to play them until they were fully eligible?

Comment

Where would SDSU be if other D-1 schools refused to play them until they were fully eligible?
          The thing is we do not have a history of back stabbing and constant ridicule of other D-1 schools that usd has shown us. The population of SD is small, so there is a lot of intermingling of usd and SDSU grads. Much more now than in 1967. Maybe, just maybe, since you've only been back in SD 10 times in the past 30+ years, you have maybe lost touch with the current situation?

Comment

I have no problem renewing the rivalry... when USD has completed their transition. They purposely didn't schedule us when we moved up with the intention of hurting the school as badly as possible when going through the transition. Now we're just supposed to forget about that and give them the benefit of having huge rivalry games to help fund their athletic department with? I don't think so. Where was USD during the first two years of the transition? Where was USD last year? They can go down to UNA without a return, but they can't come to Brookings? They have been trying to screw us through this whole D-I move, and they failed. I don't think we should play them until they've finished their transition. Let their administration live with the choices they made. They were the ones who burned the bridges with us, not the other way around. When we were desperate for games, USD was nowhere to be found, I don't see why we shouldn't return the favor.

Comment

I'll be honest. I don't care if we ever play USD again. I used to look forward to those games along with everyone else. However, I have had more than enough ridicule from them and classless behaviour. I know it sounds harsh, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if they dismantled their entire athletic department. I understand that it is important to South Dakota to have USD academically, but I don't care what happens to their athletics. I, for one, am extremely happy with our rivalry with NDSU. It has been one with mutual respect and has been a partnership with our move to D1. I'd like to see us abandon USD as a rival completely and continue moving forward with NDSU. Back to USD...I don't think they have earned the right for us to help them out in this move. The last basketball game in Vermillion featured many businesses posting derogatory comments on their marquees as well as the infamous shirts making light of Dr. Oien. I think any school that displays this kind of classless behavior merits no "helping hand" and doesn't deserve the tickets sales from a rivalry game.

Comment

The students don't care about USD anymore............enuf said.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                  I'll be honest. I don't care if we ever play USD again. I used to look forward to those games along with everyone else. However, I have had more than enough ridicule from them and classless behaviour. I know it sounds harsh, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if they dismantled their entire athletic department. I understand that it is important to South Dakota to have USD academically, but I don't care what happens to their athletics. I, for one, am extremely happy with our rivalry with NDSU. It has been one with mutual respect and has been a partnership with our move to D1. I'd like to see us abandon USD as a rival completely and continue moving forward with NDSU. Back to USD...I don't think they have earned the right for us to help them out in this move. The last basketball game in Vermillion featured many businesses posting derogatory comments on their marquees as well as the infamous shirts making light of Dr. Oien. I think any school that displays this kind of classless behavior merits no "helping hand" and doesn't deserve the tickets sales from a rivalry game.

Amen and Amen.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

After playing teams from the PAC-10, Big East, Big-12 and seeing some of those teams come to Frost, how could anyone ever get excited about playing USD again. :-/

I would much rather see us play USC agian at Frost than USD.

Comment

If they don't want to play USD again, it's imperative that the Jacks draw at least 4-5K for quality programs like Utah State. I know the weather wasn't good but a couple of thou. for a fairly solid program like that means that the move up to bigger names will be a steep slope.

Comment

Well I see that the Denver Pioneers drew all of 271 for today's game so I guess it's all relative.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack
                          After playing teams from the PAC-10, Big East, Big-12 and seeing some of those teams come to Frost, how could anyone ever get excited about playing USD again.   :-/

I would much rather see us play USC agian at Frost than USD.
                          Not to mention the Big Ten and the ACC.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                            The students don't care about USD anymore............enuf said.
                            I care about USD, I'm sick of them thinking they are high and mighty when they really aren't. It would be nice to show them that D-1 is a whole different ball game

Comment

I hope we dont see usd anytime soon and will be very dissapointed if they are ever accepted into the Mid Con. We moved on and we dont need that classless program on our schedule again. I wont forget what they pulled when me moved up to D1.

Comment

Working...
                              X