SUU ups football scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUU ups football scholarships

This one was tough, do I put it in the SDSU Football thread .  .  . nah.  How about Mid-Con .  .  . well it is about football, so I guess not.  So by default College Athletics it is.  

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650214946,00.html

T-Birds are still working on leveling playing field

Scholarship limits have hurt SUU on field and schedule

By Jay Hinton
    Deseret Morning News
    When Southern Utah University football coach Wes Meier joined Gary Andersen's staff four years ago, their main goal was to level the playing field in financial terms.
    In their first year, they had less than 40 full-ride scholarships to offer, and each year that number went up a little through more institutional financial aid and fund-raising.
    With the addition of athletic director Ken Beazer, the T-Birds are at 57 scholarships (the minimum for being considered a counter for Division I opponents), Meier now feels the playing field is a little more even and now is the time to respond.
    "We're getting better and better," Meier said. "With Ken's help and his direction, I think we're going to be in great shape in a short period of time."
    With the financial increase, Meier and his staff are offering few partial and more full rides, and aren't forced to ask as many players to walk on.
    "Now it's easier with the guys we really, really need and really want to say, 'I have a scholarship for you' and that you're going to take care of them."
    Beazer, who took over for Tom Douple in January, made it a priority to boost football scholarships for two reasons: first, increase the chance for success, and second, provide an additional source of revenue for the program by playing big Division I payout games.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Working...
X