Tim Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Miles

I'm sure this isn't the first time you guys have heard this, but Andy Katz of ESPN is saying that the Minnesota Gophers would be wise to hire Tim Miles. When I heard that other schools were looking at him last year I didn't think much about it. In fact I kind of hoped he stayed at NDSU as I wanted to see the former NCC schools do as well as possible. But now that USD is going DI I really hope the Gophers do hire Miles. He has a great thing going at NDSU and they are only going to get better. It would certainly be to USD's advantage to have Miles out of there once we make the jump. I'm interested to hear what the thoughts of State fans are on this topic. I'm sure many of you wouldn't want to admit that you would hope to gain an advantage on NDSU by seeing their coach leave for another school, but you are competing against them as will USD in a couple of years.
    NDSU has never been known for their men's basketball, but Miles is changing that. That is only going to make things tougher on the SD schools when it comes to recruiting. I really respect the job he's done and I hope the Gophers (or somebody) hire him and I hope he takes it.

Re: Tim Miles

Can you move this thread moderators?

Comment

I hope he stays at NDSU for a long, long time. Since being there the Bison are 3-8 against the Jackrabbits including 0 for 5 at Frost Arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Typical USD attitude, "I hope something bad happens at another school so our school doesn't look so bad." Instead of hoping another team hits the skids, how about improving your team? I hope Miles stays. I'm of the opinion that strong programs in our conference will help us strive for greatness.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by juice
          I'm sure this isn't the first time you guys have heard this, but Andy Katz of ESPN is saying that the Minnesota Gophers would be wise to hire Tim Miles.  When I heard that other schools were looking at him last year I didn't think much about it.  In fact I kind of hoped he stayed at NDSU as I wanted to see the former NCC schools do as well as possible.  But now that USD is going DI I really hope the Gophers do hire Miles.  He has a great thing going at NDSU and they are only going to get better.  It would certainly be to USD's advantage to have Miles out of there once we make the jump.  I'm interested to hear what the thoughts of State fans are on this topic.  I'm sure many of you wouldn't want to admit that you would hope to gain an advantage on NDSU by seeing their coach leave for another school, but you are competing against them as will USD in a couple of years.
          NDSU has never been known for their men's basketball, but Miles is changing that.  That is only going to make things tougher on the SD schools when it comes to recruiting.  I really respect the job he's done and I hope the Gophers (or somebody) hire him and I hope he takes it.

Wow!  Now I see why you guys on the board always put down USD.  They don't have any fricking idea what is going on.  
          "I hope the Gophers do hire Miles"--what a bunch of arrogant pricks.  Wanting someone to leave to benifit your own program.  It doesn't matter who our coach is, USD doesn't stand a chance  ;D ;D IF they ever get the chance to play us.

"I hope (somebody) hires him and I hope he takes it" --yeah UNC-Wilmington job was offered to him last year and he turned it down, shows what a classy guy he is.  But yeah if he gets the offer from Minnesota he obviously is gone.  But I don't think it will affect the program got some great assistant coaches.

Sorry If I put this thread is smack
          Screw the U--both of them

Go State
          "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd
            [quote author=juice link=1165383099/0#0 date=1165383099]I'm sure this isn't the first time you guys have heard this, but Andy Katz of ESPN is saying that the Minnesota Gophers would be wise to hire Tim Miles.  When I heard that other schools were looking at him last year I didn't think much about it.  In fact I kind of hoped he stayed at NDSU as I wanted to see the former NCC schools do as well as possible.  But now that USD is going DI I really hope the Gophers do hire Miles.  He has a great thing going at NDSU and they are only going to get better.  It would certainly be to USD's advantage to have Miles out of there once we make the jump.  I'm interested to hear what the thoughts of State fans are on this topic.  I'm sure many of you wouldn't want to admit that you would hope to gain an advantage on NDSU by seeing their coach leave for another school, but you are competing against them as will USD in a couple of years.
            NDSU has never been known for their men's basketball, but Miles is changing that.  That is only going to make things tougher on the SD schools when it comes to recruiting.  I really respect the job he's done and I hope the Gophers (or somebody) hire him and I hope he takes it.

Wow!  Now I see why you guys on the board always put down USD.  They don't have any fricking idea what is going on.  
            "I hope the Gophers do hire Miles"--what a bunch of arrogant pricks.  Wanting someone to leave to benifit your own program.  It doesn't matter who our coach is, USD doesn't stand a chance  ;D ;D IF they ever get the chance to play us.

"I hope (somebody) hires him and I hope he takes it" --yeah UNC-Wilmington job was offered to him last year and he turned it down, shows what a classy guy he is.  But yeah if he gets the offer from Minnesota he obviously is gone.  But I don't think it will affect the program got some great assistant coaches.

Sorry If I put this thread is smack
            Screw the U--both of them

Go State[/quote]

Did you just call USD fans arrogant pricks because they recognize that NDSU has a good thing going with Miles and that we might be in some trouble if Miles stays there? : I think you did, but it doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't it be arrogant if I thought Miles staying was not going to be a problem for USD because once we start playing again we would go back to dominating you like we have for years in men's basketball. You have one SDSU fan saying I hope he stays because he is 3-8 against SDSU, and you have a USD fan saying I hope he leaves because USD could be in trouble if he doesn't, and you call the USD fans arrogant.
            SF_Rabbit--It's not that I'm hoping for NDSU to hit the skids so USD looks better, it's that I think having Miles gone will benefit USD. Not by USD looking better because NDSU would be worse, but by USD getting some recruits that Miles might have gotten. We'll see how happy you are with Miles being at NDSU after they start getting the recruits that SDSU was going after, if he hasn't been doing that already. I guess maybe I should hope that NDSU gets all the top recruits. I would hate to hope for anything that might give my school the edge when we play them. It was foolish of me to see sports as a competition, I apologize.

Comment

If i was from SDSU I would agree with rabbitinunictry, why would he want a coach to leave that has a 3-8 record against SDSU. And I don't blame him.

Do you really think that it is going to make a big difference if he is there or not when or if you guys ever play us? The quality of our program rest on the entire coaching staff, not just the head coach.

And don't give me that "in years past bull****" we did this or this. You can't even talk to us about B-Ball becasue I have never seen you guys play us. Oh wait thats becasue your DII and we have never played you.--thats right never played you in the highest level of college basketball.

What are you talking about with the recruiting thing. I doubt that SDSU was going after Mike Nelson (Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin). They have their market and we have ours. And I don't see you guys at USD affecting our recruiting too much. What the heck are you gonna offer them? We have to worry more about UND taking kids out of the market than you guys down there.

Comment

All Smack aside, I can't imagine U of Minn not hiring Miles. He is as hot as they get right now and is THE up and coming coach thanks to 2 big wins over national powers. Aside from taking a George Mason to the Final Four, he's doing the one thing coaches need to do to get bigger jobs. Also, Miles is winning with a lineup made primarily of Minn and Wis kids and not a bunch of juco transfers. If Minn hires Miles they hire an up and comer who has shown the ability to build a D1 program from the ground up. On the other hand, if Miles decides to stay (assuming he's offered the job) he is essentially resigning himself to being at NDSU for the remainder of his coaching career. He's not going to get any hotter than he is right now. If he truly wants to move forward in his coaching career, he has to take the Minn job if it's offered and I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  All Smack aside, I can't imagine U of Minn not hiring Miles.  He is as hot as they get right now and is THE up and coming coach thanks to 2 big wins over national powers.  Aside from taking a George Mason to the Final Four, he's doing the one thing coaches need to do to get bigger jobs.  Also, Miles is winning with a lineup made primarily of Minn and Wis kids and not a bunch of juco transfers.  If Minn hires Miles they hire an up and comer who has shown the ability to build a D1 program from the ground up.  On the other hand, if Miles decides to stay (assuming he's offered the job) he is essentially resigning himself to being at NDSU for the remainder of his coaching career.  He's not going to get any hotter than he is right now.  If he truly wants to move forward in his coaching career, he has to take the Minn job if it's offered and I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same.
                  Agreed.

I feel that if only we could have won this year against a down Minnesota team the job would have been a lock.  We (NDSU fans) would like to see him go and better himself at a job such as U of M, I mean how the heck could you blame him for taking it.  It's the nearest major DI job.  Thats why he didn't want the job at UNC-Wilmington, distance.   There was also a booster problem with AD there as well.

Comment

I think the win over Marquette changed things for Miles. Prior to this he had one upset win, which many people thought could have been a fluke. Now that he has knocked off another ranked team, he is in the category of up and comers. The question for Minnesota which I think will determine if he gets an offer, is do they want to risk another up and comer after just having one that didn't pan out. And remember, the recently departed coach had a much longer record of getting it done at a small program and was even a hotter prospect than Miles is now. My guess is the U of M doesn't have the guts to tell the big money donors that they are going to try this again and Miles doesn't even get an interview. Another prediction sure to go wrong.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

One thing that Miles might be willing to do versus coaches at D-1 schools not in transition is make the move right now.  The timing on this thing is really strange.  It is so rare to have a coaching change at a major school happen just after the season has started.

Here are the U of M's three options IMO:

1.  Keep the interim coach until the end of the season.

2.  Hire a top-flight assistant without coaching experience from a big-time program.

3.  Hire Miles from NDSU.  There is no way he turns it down.  In the long run it would be good for NDSU because they would get a great bunch of candidates to replace him due to the fact that it is a great stepping stone.

I remember when all of the hubbub regarding Nagy moving on was going around.  Obviously, he isn't a "hot prospect" right now but he will be when things get turned around and takes a team to the NCAA Tournament.  I would hate to lose him but it is a good thing for the program if he moves on to bigger and better things.  That goes for coaches in any sport.  If SDSU's Athletic Department is looked at as a place that gives young coaches a chance and have success and are given the opportunity to move up, that is a great thing!

I didn't think Miles had a prayer for the U of M job but the more I think about it and weigh the circumstances, he is my bet for the next coach!

MILES, I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO BRING YOUR GOPHER TEAM TO FROST ARENA TO GET YOUR FIRST WIN AT SDSU!  

All that would be left is, "Great big gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts!" - Carl the Greenskeeper from Caddyshack.

Hopefully that's all that's left after tomorrow night! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                        MILES, I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO BRING YOUR GOPHER TEAM TO FROST ARENA TO GET YOUR FIRST WIN AT SDSU!
                        ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                          All Smack aside, I can't imagine U of Minn not hiring Miles.  He is as hot as they get right now and is THE up and coming coach thanks to 2 big wins over national powers.  Aside from taking a George Mason to the Final Four, he's doing the one thing coaches need to do to get bigger jobs.  Also, Miles is winning with a lineup made primarily of Minn and Wis kids and not a bunch of juco transfers.  If Minn hires Miles they hire an up and comer who has shown the ability to build a D1 program from the ground up.  On the other hand, if Miles decides to stay (assuming he's offered the job) he is essentially resigning himself to being at NDSU for the remainder of his coaching career.  He's not going to get any hotter than he is right now.  If he truly wants to move forward in his coaching career, he has to take the Minn job if it's offered and I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same.
                          I would say IF NDSU makes the NCAA tournament in 2008-09 he would be much hotter than he is right now.

The Gophers thought they had an up and coming coach when they got Monson from Gonzaga. They might not want to go the mid-major route again. I think if Flip Saunders, Majerus, Bobby Knight don't want the job then Miles has a chance.

Comment

The problem is that Tim has never taken a team to the Big Dance and can't for a few years. Yes, he has had some big wins but with a lot of major DI programs their big concern is what have you done in March. Tim may be a hot coach now but come march there will be a few mid-major coaches that will get some big wins and make themselves into the hot canidates for major conference jobs. I think Tim does have a chance since he is a local guy who has done well and if that gets him an interview then his chance will increase greatly. But right now I would say he is more a darkhorse then a frontrunner for the job.  

Comment

Originally posted by tcbison
                              [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1165383099/0#7 date=1165419044]All Smack aside, I can't imagine U of Minn not hiring Miles.  He is as hot as they get right now and is THE up and coming coach thanks to 2 big wins over national powers.  Aside from taking a George Mason to the Final Four, he's doing the one thing coaches need to do to get bigger jobs.  Also, Miles is winning with a lineup made primarily of Minn and Wis kids and not a bunch of juco transfers.  If Minn hires Miles they hire an up and comer who has shown the ability to build a D1 program from the ground up.  On the other hand, if Miles decides to stay (assuming he's offered the job) he is essentially resigning himself to being at NDSU for the remainder of his coaching career.  He's not going to get any hotter than he is right now.  If he truly wants to move forward in his coaching career, he has to take the Minn job if it's offered and I'm sure anyone in his position would do the same.
                              I would say IF NDSU makes the NCAA tournament in 2008-09 he would be much hotter than he is right now.

The Gophers thought they had an up and coming coach when they got Monson from Gonzaga. They might not want to go the mid-major route again. I think if Flip Saunders, Majerus, Bobby Knight don't want the job then Miles has a chance.[/quote]

Flip Saunders has got to be making major ching with the Detroit Pistons and Bobby Knight is coaching at a university that has a very good friend at AD and has hired his son as Assistant AD. Just can't imagine either of them going to the Gophers. Majerus, who knows but he has a ton of baggage (pun intended) that he brings with and you have to question his commitment long term.

There may be other coaches out there that are out of work but Miles would be a likely choice from the candidates floated here.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X