• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State's future

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor...342142607.html

MSU missed opportunity on future of athletics

By Chad Courrier
    Free Press Staff Writer

What’s happening to the North Central Conference is sad, the five members of this once-powerful Division II league reduced to beggars, hoping that some conference at some level will provide a home for future athletic events.

What’s happening to Minnesota State is more disappointing than sad, how the decision-makers at this university could be so blindsided and ill-prepared to act when such a situation has seemed imminent for more than a year.

Sometime this month — probably — Minnesota State will announce its intentions for the future of the athletic department and its 23 programs. Division I or Division II, Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference or another league?

Whatever decision is made, it’s already about a year late.  .  .  .  (read more)

And another story:

http://www.mankato-freepress.com/sit...341224911.html

Our View: Important decision for MSU coming due

The Free Press

A quick look at Minnesota State’s athletic conference situation might indicate the university is between a rock and a hard place. MSU must soon choose between what are essentially two sobering options — whether to move up to Division I and incur $2 million or more in additional costs as a result, or to apply for inclusion in another conference — probably the Northern Sun, which would mean the loss of as many as 30 scholarships.

Though there are negatives to be weighed with either choice, there are also positives. One direction signals a rise in prestige; the other represents new opportunities within a reputable and competitive conference family. If MSU makes the right move, it can serve as a launching pad for the Mavericks to enter into a new and successful athletic era.

University officials are grappling with the reality that a move from Division II to Division I would not only require additional funds not easily found, but correspondingly, the potential loss of programs that would not sit well with students and fans. Both of the aforementioned realities (not to mention the scheduling nightmare) would be difficult to sell to a college community justifiably proud of the overall competitiveness of its programs but mindful that finances need to stretch far. A jump to Division I might signal an unpopular increase in student fees, not to mention growing pains associated with getting the Mavericks up to Division I speed. . . . (read more)

It sure is better to be a leader then a follower at this point.  

Go State!  

Re: Minnesota State's future

Story today out of 'Kato:

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor...yword=topstory

Out of all of SDSU's old NCC rivals, only MSU is left to make a decision between Division I and Division II. Convention wisdom, at this point, suggests that the Mavs will stick to D-II and take their chances with the NSIC. It, however, sounds that such a decision may not be as easy as that......

A current FB player's viewpoint:
    Hunter worries that the university will settle for the Northern Sun instead of trying to raise the money for Division I or to handle the increased travel costs of finding another Division II conference.

“I want to stay competitive, and the Northern Sun isn’t as competitive (in football),” Hunter said. “If they can’t raise the money to go Division I, they could get the money for one of the other (Division II) conferences.”
    A baseball alum's viewpoint:
    Bob Bresnahan, who played baseball at Minnesota State from 1978-81, said that Division II is the obvious choice for the future, given the university’s success and financial viability.

“It would be a foolish decision, financially, to (go Division I) because that would put (Minnesota State) in dire financial straits, with the possibility of moving backward in the future,” Bresnahan said. “The right thing to be is who we are, that’s to be the best in Division II. We’re a regional institution, not a national institution.”
    I remember the big fuss several years ago when MSU changed its named from Mankato State to Minnesota State. They wanted to increase the school's profile throughout the region and the nation. Well, a move to D-I would be a logical step and a golden opportunity to distinguish themselves from the rest of the non-Gopher public universities in MN. The market and enrollment numbers are there (better than UND or USD); the folks in Mankato just have to make a serious effort in order to make it work. (A big assist from Glen Taylor would help.)

Comment

MSU-Mankato is staying D-II.

http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read.php?id=1166643497

Minnesota State Mankato will apply to Northern Sun Conference

2006-12-20

Minnesota State University, Mankato will formally apply for membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, President Richard Davenport and Athletic Director Kevin Buisman announced on Dec. 20.

Minnesota State Mankato will seek membership in the Northern Sun starting with the 2008-2009 intercollegiate athletic season.

The University is seeking the change because its current athletic league, the North Central Conference, will disband following the 2007-2008 season.

"In the last few weeks we have looked closely at our options and discussed them publicly," Davenport said. "Until the announcement of the NCC's demise in late November, our first priority - as a loyal member of the conference - was to keep the conference alive. When we learned that was not possible, we consulted with several key constituencies, including faculty, staff, students and community members."

"As a result of this process, we have concluded that the Northern Sun Conference is the best choice for us, and we hope the conference's current members feel that we would be worthy partners." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

I think Nighthawk has some kind of weird fascination with making up pointless polls

Comment

I am surprised with all the money Glen Taylor, T-Wolves owner, has stuck into MSU over the years that he has not voiced or been asked his opinion on the matter.

Comment

Working...
          X