• Show
Clear All

• UNO to the MIAA, well not so fast

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/122606/lsp_miaa.shtml

Conference explores options

Officials to discuss adding Nebraska-Omaha

By Ken Corbitt
    The Capital-Journal
    Maryville, Mo. -- In the past 20 years, the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association has gone through numerous changes in membership.

The most drastic was in 1989 when the conference expanded by four members with the addition of Washburn, Pittsburg State, Missouri Southern and Missouri Western.

Southeast Missouri State, Missouri-St. Louis, Lincoln and Missouri-Rolla have since departed, and Emporia State and Fort Hays State came aboard.

Mid-America replaced Missouri in the MIAA name, reflecting the influx of Kansas universities. Now, the conference is pondering a move into Nebraska.

Nebraska-Omaha is being considered for membership, a topic MIAA officials will discuss next month at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla.

Currently at 10 members, the MIAA must decide if it wants and needs to again alter the landscape.

"UNO is an institution we were interested in several years ago but they weren't interested at that time," MIAA commissioner Ralph McFillen said. "They were loyal to the North Central Conference and committed to making that work."

Nebraska-Omaha is exploring options with the break-up of the North Central Conference. Northern Colorado, North Dakota State and South Dakota State left the NCC in 2002 in a move to Division I, and now North Dakota and South Dakota are doing likewise while Augustana is moving to the Northern Sun Conference.

That whittles the conference down to UNO, Minnesota State-Mankato and St. Cloud State.

John Christensen, UNO interim chancellor, met with MIAA officials last month.

"I thought it was a very positive and very productive discussion," Christensen said in the Nov. 10 edition of the Omaha World-Herald. "At this particular point I'm finding out what would be required for us to be considered for affiliation."

The major stumbling block is an MIAA bylaw that prohibits any Division I sport, and UNO has hockey.

"It's a concern," said Washburn director of athletics Loren Ferré. "The feeling is you can generate revenue off a Division I sport which benefits all their other sports. I don't know if that is the case with hockey at UNO, but that's the potential fear."

Another factor to consider is institutional turmoil. Athletic budget deficits led to the resignations of UNO's chancellor and vice chancellor last summer, and director of athletics David Herbster resigned last month.

"That is an issue that has been raised," McFillen said. "You look at the university in total, but certainly leadership is an important aspect." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: UNO to the MIAA, well not so fast

I don't know the precise cost of a full ride at Southwest Baptist, but I think 20 grand a crack would not be an unreasonable amout. Twenty Thousand times 36 equals $720,000. Thats a bunch of bucks, so I can see why Augie did not think too much about D1 nor will we see many private schools joining D1AA unless they are cash rich in endowments. Southwest's proposal of not participating in Football does not surprise me. UNO and their D1 hockey presents some additional challenge. I agree: Well not so fast.

Comment

Working...
    X