Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back Charlie

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...18/1158/VOICES

This was in the Argus a couple days ago. Ol' Pat Lalley is giving Stu a run for his money when it comes to crazy, poorly-written columns. I'll just say that USD shouldn't be proud of this particualr alum........

Re: Bring back Charlie

And of course, you have some yahoos saying they need to get rid of college athletics... I thing some people from here (preferrable former student-athletes) need to go over and set the record straight.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
      I thing some people from here (preferrable former student-athletes) need to go over and set the record straight.
      Not generally worth it. No harm in those who think college athletics are a detrement. They are the mistaken minority and will remain that way. As for Lalley, he seems to me to be a typical arrogant USD grad. Not all USD grads are like Lalley and maybe he isn't what he seems but that seem to think USD is the greatest and has accomplished so much that no great aspirations for progress are necessary. I have no idea how they perpetuate that false thought but arrogance has a lot to do with it.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is too funny. First of all I can't believe that an editorial from a USD grad talking about bringing back Charlie Coyote even got posted on this site. But I find it even more comical that it turned into a discussion about how arrogant USD fans are. If you have to resort to calling USD fans arrogant, over an alum saying the school made a mistake by changing the mascot, then you are really running out of things to complain about.

Comment

One person posting their comments of usd grads is hardly a discussion of that person's opinion. It is wierd though that this particular topic was posted. I suspect holiday boredom had something to do with it. I do find it comical as well that you felt the need to post on the matter, and I as well for that matter. Just bored I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            Not all USD grads are like Lalley and maybe he isn't what he seems but some seem to think USD is the greatest and has accomplished so much that no great aspirations for progress are necessary.  I have no idea how they perpetuate that false thought but arrogance has a lot to do with it.
            Notice I did say that it doesn't apply to all USD grads and fans, just seems like more of them than other institutions. Now, its obvious that arrogance doesn't escape me (or maybe I don't escape from it) so its not like I consider it an all out slam. I just think Lalley might want to consider the motive behind an update of the mascot to be more than greed. I don't think its spits in the face of tradition at all. USD revamped their whole athletic departments approach to marketing 4 years ago with the "South Dakota's team" campaign. It included major changes to logos hence the current coyote images. They report quite a bit of success.

As for posting on it here, don't read it if you're not interested.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

To Juice:

I have no dog in this fight, so I offer no comment. In other words, I have no coyote nor do I want one. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

[quote author=jackmd link=

As for posting on it here, don't read it if you're not interested.[/quote]

I actually am interested, so I'm glad it was posted. I was just surprised to see it posted on this site. I didn't figure it would be of interest to most people over here.

Comment

If I remember correctly the article was both about Charlie Coyote and the SDSU plan to change the Jackrabbit
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Nah Zobel has nothing to smack anyone with so he posted it outta boredom ;D

Comment

Originally posted by juice

I actually am interested, so I'm glad it was posted. I was just surprised to see it posted on this site. I didn't figure it would be of interest to most people over here.
                      Well, we do have an entire section of forums under the title Beyond SDSU . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I posted the article link on the Jackrabbit logo thread because Lalley doesn't want us to change our logo. (I hurried posted the link without including his opinions on our beloved Jackrabbit :-[.)

Since many of the board members grew up seeing Charlie the Coyote, I think it's natural that a least a few would discuss his complete disappearance, especially since SDSU is updating the logo and there is concern that the current Jackrabbit might also disappear completely from campus.

BTW: Since jackmd is also a grad of USD, I think he has the right to comment on the arrogance of USD fans.......

Comment

Working...
                        X