Montana State backs out on NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana State backs out on NDSU

Surprise, surprise another Montana schools backs out of a return game.  I really don't care if we ever play them again.  >

From the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free)

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/152224

Montana State opts out

Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, January 07, 2007

Montana State officially pulled the plug on its football game at North Dakota State next season, leaving Bison athletic director Gene Taylor in a familiar position: scrambling for games.

The move came on the heels of legislation at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla. A proposal to add a 12th game for Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) teams was defeated on Saturday. The measure needed 62 percent approval to pass, but got just 48 percent.  .  .  .  

With the cancellation of MSU, NDSU has eight games: home against Stephen F. Austin (Texas), California Davis and Southern Utah and away against Minnesota, Mississippi Valley State, California Poly, Western Illinois and South Dakota State.

Taylor’s hopes to expand to at least five home games.

“I’m a little nervous now,” he said. “I don’t know how many I-AA’s are available. My thought is maybe don’t panic and the longer people don’t have games, the more willing they will be to play you. But I don’t want to wait until April.”

The NDSU and Montana State game was part of a home-and-home contract. The Bison played in Bozeman in 2005. . . . (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Montana State backs out on NDSU

Gateway doesn't solve this problem but certainly helps with 4 home games a year in conference. It really it disappointing to see the BSC teams turn tail and run. I hope we don't behave in the same fashion in the future. I believe you should never say never but I hope we don't stoop to these lows. As a show of support for each other I think both schools should try very hard not to play any BSC opponents on the road, in any sport. Probably not feasible.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
      Gateway doesn't solve this problem but certainly helps with 4 home games a year in conference.  It really it disappointing to see the BSC teams turn tail and run.  I hope we don't behave in the same fashion in the future.  I believe you should never say never but I hope we don't stoop to these lows.  As a show of support for each other I think both schools should try very hard not to play any BSC opponents on the road, in any sport.  Probably not feasible.
      I agree. I'm really beginning to be convinced that BSC stands for something other than "Big Sky" if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        [quote author=jackmd link=1168181456/0#1 date=1168186380]Gateway doesn't solve this problem but certainly helps with 4 home games a year in conference. It really it disappointing to see the BSC teams turn tail and run. I hope we don't behave in the same fashion in the future. I believe you should never say never but I hope we don't stoop to these lows. As a show of support for each other I think both schools should try very hard not to play any BSC opponents on the road, in any sport. Probably not feasible.
        I agree. I'm really beginning to be convinced that BSC stands for something other than "Big Sky" if you know what I mean.[/quote]

Ah, the BS Conference strikes again! 1bunnies, you are correct: the BS stands not for "Big Sky" but a term that will get you removed from basketball games if used too vocally.

I feel bad for the Bison that their schedule is still in a major state of flux. Hopefully, we'll both be in the Gateway and will only have to find three non-conference games (one being a money game). We shouldn't bother ever having to think about scheduling a BS Conference school ever again.

I think the vote to defeat the 12-game schedule is really going to hurt a lot of CS/I-AA programs. A lot of the big-time schools (Mont., GSU, AppState, UNI, etc.) really want six home games per year. With a full conference slate taking up eight games and a money game against a BS/I-A, only two games are left. Getting two home games against quality opponents will be next-to-impossible. Five (if not four) home games will likely be a fact of life for most CS/I-AA schools as long as they are restricted to 11 games while BS/I-As can play 12 games.

I don't know all of the politics that led to the defeat of the OPTIONAL 12-game schedule, but I'm sure a lot of the nay votes were from schools that would never bother to schedule a 12th game such as the Ivies, Pioneers, and such. This disparity between the championship schools and the non-championship schools can't be very healthy for CS/I-AA football. In the end, I see this as a possible push for some schools (and maybe even conferences) to jump up to the BS/I-A level.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
          [quote author=jackmd link=1168181456/0#1 date=1168186380]Gateway doesn't solve this problem but certainly helps with 4 home games a year in conference.  It really it disappointing to see the BSC teams turn tail and run.  I hope we don't behave in the same fashion in the future.  I believe you should never say never but I hope we don't stoop to these lows.  As a show of support for each other I think both schools should try very hard not to play any BSC opponents on the road, in any sport.  Probably not feasible.
          I agree. I'm really beginning to be convinced that BSC stands for something other than "Big Sky" if you know what I mean.[/quote]

I think I'd rearrange the letters to BCS in reference to large chicken excrement

Comment

Working...
          X