• Coach's salaries

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0302/1001/NEWS

D-I or not, coaches won't get $32M
    Pay at SDSU, USD tops out at $79,000

By Terry Woster
    twoster@midco.net
    PUBLISHED: January 6, 2007

PIERRE - $32 million.

Enough to buy more than 200 four-bedroom homes in Sioux Falls. Enough to cover the city's annual police budget, with plenty to spare.

Nearly enough to cover the athletic budgets at South Dakota State and the University of South Dakota, combined, for three years.

Just enough to persuade the Miami Dolphins' Nick Saban to take the top coaching job at the University of Alabama - a record sum to be paid over eight years.

Athletic departments at South Dakota's two largest universities joined everyday fans amazed at the soaring salaries of college coaches.

"You and I wouldn't see in our lifetimes a deal like that, and I doubt our kids or grandkids would see it," said Joel Nielsen, USD athletic director.

USD football coach Ed Meierkort earns $76,000 a year, not including pay for classroom teaching or special camps he conducts. SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier's base salary is about $79,000.

Saban becomes the highest-paid college coach in the country, and it's a hot topic increasingly relevant in South Dakota in the wake of the SDSU Jackrabbits' recent move to Division I and now the USD Coyotes' plan to ramp up their athletic budget for the same move next year.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!

Re: Coach's salaries

Well Sabin's salary is certainly ridiculous, but it's equally screwy on the South Dakota end IMHO. I'm a library director in a mid-sized public library ($15 million annually) and I pay my branch managers more than SD coaching salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
      Well Sabin's salary is certainly ridiculous, but it's equally screwy on the South Dakota end IMHO. I'm a library director in a mid-sized public library ($15 million annually) and I pay my branch managers more than SD coaching salaries.
      I would suggest that the average (i.e. fiscally conservative) South Dakotan had better get used to the concept of coaches at the state's D-I universities being paid six-figure salaries in the very, very near future. Just another cost of doing business in the big time.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

FWIW-- I checked the Missouri Blue Book (2005-06) and then (Southwest) Missouri State football coach Randy Ball made $96,803-- not terribly out of line with SDSU. These were probably '04 salaries. The president made $240,000-- less than Chicoine. So probably another $25-30K would get things up into some kind of parity at SDSU. Of course, Missouri has always paid poorly at the state level as well.

In the same book-- Gary Pinkel was listed as making $240,000 at Mizzou.

Kim Anderson, the DII basketball coach at University of Central Missouri (then CMSU) made $100,000. Speaking of UCM, weren't there some rumors that the Mules were looking at DI?

Comment

So probably another $25-30K would get things up into some kind of parity at SDSU
          Cant forget that there needs to be 1 more assistant for most sports plus an increase in assistant's salaries also.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
            I hope Stig makes a mint on his football camps to help make up the difference. Filbert is right, though. People need to accept six-figure coaches' salaries. That's still not that much money for such a high-profile position with so much responsibility.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here are the salaries for all U of Michigan coaches:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/aane...xml&coll=2

Comment

$172K seems kind of low for men's basketball in the Big 10. Think it's significantly lower than the Wichita State salary I listed some time ago. What happened to the Fab 5?

Comment

Working...
                X