Steve Kragthorpe New coach at Louisville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Kragthorpe New coach at Louisville

I had wondered if the new cocch Steve Kragthorpe was related to a former SDSU football coach Dave Kragthorpe. After doing a Google, I learned that indeed his father was Dave Kragthorpe, who was briefly an assistant under Ralph Ginn and then later succeed Ralph as  SDSU head coach. We apparently could not hang on to Dave as he got an offer and left. I do know one alum who played under the father Dave and he felt that he was a very good coach and apparently Steve learned from his dad and is moving up the ranks.

Here is an excerpt from the Tulsa U profile of Coach Kragthorpe:

http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sport...e_steve00.html

Kragthorpe's experience around football goes much deeper than the 15 years he has been a coach. His father, Dave, was coaching since Steve was a youngster, serving assistant coaching stints at Montana, South Dakota State and BYU. Following 10 years at BYU, the elder Kragthorpe was the head coach at Idaho State for three years (1980-82), taking a team that had lost 15 straight games to champions of NCAA Division I-AA in just his second season. After two years as athletics director at Utah State, the elder Kragthorpe returned to the sidelines and spent six years (1985-90) as the head coach at Oregon State.

The younger Kragthorpe's football philosophy is to be wide-open, aggressive and try to dictate the tempo in all phases of the game. His offensive mentality goes back to Brigham Young University of the 1970's, but can even be traced to The University of Tulsa.

"
Working...
X