Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye, Bye, Mason - Who's Next?

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/908025.html

Well, the Gophers keep canning coaches.......perhaps their President should lower the boom on their A.D. next.

Now that their the Gophers have cleaned house, the pro teams should get into the act and show Casey and Childress the door.........especially since the Vikes fell behind 41-7 today before getting a coupole garbage touchdowns in the fourth.......

Also, who would actually want the job of caoching the Gophers? Bohl from NDSU will be a talked-about name for some fans. Maybe Mike Tice would view the gig as a chance to 1) get back to a NFL head position and 2) show Zygi that he was a complete idiot for firing him last year. I'm really not sure who they could get at this point since most of the college coaching changes have already been made.

Re: Bye, Bye, Mason - Who's Next?

Mason pre-dated Maturi so I see no blame to be given to Maturi. I think he supported this coach about as long as he should have and pulled the plug at the right time (blowing the bowl game lead was amazing).

Poor goofers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      Mason pre-dated Maturi so I see no blame to be given to Maturi. I think he supported this coach about as long as he should have and pulled the plug at the right time (blowing the bowl game lead was amazing).

Poor goofers.
      Maturi was the one who gave Mason the five-year extension a year ago. That was when they should have pulled the plug on Mason.......

Maturi is the A.D. who 1) couldn't fire Monson the first time (after last year's NIT debacle against Cincinnati), 2) can't get the money for his new FB stadium, 3) won't give his wrestling coach - and leader of the best Gopher program - a long-term deal, and 4) won't allow his baseball coach to get a new stadium even though donors are more willing to build the U of M a baseball facility as opposed to a football stadium.

Pres. Bruininks just needs to finish off the last leg of the infamous Golden Gopher tripod and find a new A.D..........

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
        [quote author=JackJD link=1167601708/0#1 date=1167607307]Mason pre-dated Maturi so I see no blame to be given to Maturi.  I think he supported this coach about as long as he should have and pulled the plug at the right time (blowing the bowl game lead was amazing).

Poor goofers.  
        Maturi was the one who gave Mason the five-year extension a year ago. That was when they should have pulled the plug on Mason.......

Maturi is the A.D. who 1) couldn't fire Monson the first time (after last year's NIT debacle against Cincinnati), 2) can't get the money for his new FB stadium, 3) won't give his wrestling coach - and leader of the best Gopher program - a long-term deal, and 4) won't allow his baseball coach to get a new stadium even though donors are more willing to build the U of M a baseball facility as opposed to a football stadium.

Pres. Bruininks just needs to finish off the last leg of the infamous Golden Gopher tripod and find a new A.D..........[/quote]

I think NightHawk nailed this one. Apparently the FB stadium is way behind on raising money, in part because some donors who would be willing to give have been convinced by the baseball supporters not to donate until they get the go ahead on the baseball stadium. Maturi continues to say no to the baseball stadium because then those supporters may not give money to the project he is involved with. The baseball coach and supporters have done almost all the work on their stadium. I believe it was Souhan that said on KSTP that the baseball stadium has over 90% of its cost already covered, and it hasn't officially been slated for construction.

Maturi finally firead Mason because he needed to in order to save his job. The big 2 spots are open, and since he didn't bring in either of them, Bruinicks will almost certainly let him hire his guys, give them 2 years, and then let him go because things will be the same.

I think that who the Gophers should go after is Tony Dungy; heat is on in Indy and he could go to his alma mater. I think he would have no problem recruiting across the nation. Will that happen no, primarily because the U of MN is paying so much to their ex-coaches they won't have the money to bring in a big name, which you can trace back to the extensions that Maturi handed out.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think I revise my comments.  I wonder how long Maturi will last.

Boise State's coach, Chris Peterson, must be making a few coaching candidate wish lists.

I wonder if Minnesota is considered a dead-end for coaches or will some coaches look at it as an opportunity?

Comment

I liked that Boise coach and I was jumping up and down when they scored that lateral last night for that touchdown. Talk about some crazy playcalls. They really brought out the schoolyard playbook in that game. But I'm guessing he was an assistant under the old Boise coach? And he must have had some part in some sort of recruiting but I don't know if I'd trust him quite yet until he gets his own players to come through and win with them instead of the old coach's players. I wouldn't look at him as a top prospect but maybe in a few years he would be? Just a thought.

Comment

Peterson was offensive coordinator under the previous Boise State coach and certainly deserves much credit for their past success in addition to this season's success.

That was some Fiesta Bowl game. BSU's offensive execution in the last minute of regulation and in overtime was about perfect. What a great performance.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Man did I kick myself for turning that game off early!! I couldn't believe the score when I heard it this morning.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If you look at the MSN webpage you should be able to see the video of the end of the game and overtime including Ian Johnson's proposal. This is why college sports are so good.

Comment

Looks like the U of M has found their new football coach...and no, it isn't Bohl from NDSU although I had heard he was contacted about the job.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...;ATCLID=747972

Comment

Working...
                    X