• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Southern Football coach resigns

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733115

VanGorder to be Falcons' linebackers coachBy Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

Brian VanGorder has resigned as coach at Division I-AA Georgia Southern after only one season to become linebackers coach of the Atlanta Falcons, multiple sources familiar to the situation said Tuesday.

VanGorder, a former defensive coordinator at the University of Georgia, struggled in his only season with the Eagles. Georgia Southern went 3-8, 2-5 in the Southern Conference, this past season. He attempted to install a passing offense after the Eagles used a run-based option offense for most of the last two decades. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Georgia Southern Football coach resigns

That's a tough blow to that storied program. The next coach will have their hands full.

Comment

What kind of coach does one hire in this situation. A passing guy, which will find that it is difficult to shelve the previous offensive system that had been around for years. Or, do you go back to what you know best and have recruited for previously by hiring another option guy? Ideally, I think you find some one that still knew their option offense, but is willing to phase in a more modern offense. Key word, phase, other wise it would be like training someone to be a sprinter and then having them run the 2-mile instead.

Comment

If you are going to make a major shift, you have to make the shift and recruit the players that are going to make the new system work. You won't get those guys to commit if you are still playing the old system. Just my opinion, but if they want to make the offense "more modern", then they have to make the change and realize they are going to play a couple of years with guys that it doesn't fit all that well.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5953353

My plea to Jacks fans is that we NEVER let this happen around here!!

For fans to verbally attack a coach's family is the act of a bottom-feeder society. These are the examples that people bring up when they wish the college atmosphere was JUST for education and not athletics. I in no way agree with these people, but let's here at SDSU, not forget that college athletics is an extension of the "college experience" and not let our thirst for a successfull program blind "good sense", like it obviously has for a few fans at GSU.
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
            http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5953353

My plea to Jacks fans is that we NEVER let this happen around here!!

For fans to verbally attack a coach's family is the act of a bottom-feeder society.  These are the examples that people bring up when they wish the college atmosphere was JUST for education and not athletics.  I in no way agree with these people, but let's here at SDSU, not forget that college athletics is an extension of the "college experience" and not let our thirst for a successfull program blind "good sense", like it obviously has for a few fans at GSU.
            Very important the we preserve the culture of mutual respect for everyone. That includes officials and opponents. Exactly why I don't care if we ever renew the bitter rivalry desired by USD. There was no respect shown by USD at any level and for me that is a culture shift I am not willing to be a party to. Whatever benefit some misguided media types may think it has for SD is greatly outweighed by the potential harm. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind or not willing to admit what they know as fact. If USD wants to elevate itself to our level that is fine, but I won't support stooping to the level they demonstrated at the end of the rivalry. Thats not elitism thats responsibility. Rant complete.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X