Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of the NCC

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=147907

Kind of sad, really. Lots of good memories there.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Re: The Death of the NCC

I think Augie nailed the coffin shut while the remaining schools held the nail.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Not trying to be smacky here, but the application process for the minnesota schools has got to be kind of humiliating. Raymond says there is a required "site visit" to those school. Its kind of hard to believe that officials from Minnesota Crookston may be checking facilities at St. Cloud or Augie to see if they are up to par with the mighty crookston tradition. I really feel kind of bad for those schools.

Comment

Ten years ago, the NSIC was at seven members (Duluth, Winona, Bemidji, Moorhead, SMSU, NSU, and Morris). They were desperate at that time to add members in order to help satisfy NCAA scheduling requirements and added Wayne State, Concordia-St. Paul, and Crookston. Morris and Duluth left a few years ago and have now been replaced by Mary and Upper Iowa.

The NSIC now has some leeway when it reviews potential schools since they are at 10 members. Augie is probably a slam dunk, even if they realize that there are likely a 10-year (or so) stopover for the Vikings while they plot a course to Division 1. They may think twice about adding the other NCC orphans because of the FB scholarship maxs, an issue which could threaten to rip apart the conference.

It would probably be correct to say that it would be "humiliating" or "awkward" for the MN schools to apply to the NSIC. St. Cloud, Mankato, and Duluth are actually charter members of the NSIC; Mankato and Duluth have already left the conference twice (another reason why re-entry to the NSIC may be problematic).

Comment

The football scholarship limit is a problem (36 for NCC, 24 for NSIC) and don't forget that "other" scholarship limits are also lower. I believe the NCC is, 36 football, 10 basketball, and 15 others. NSIC is lower in the football and "others" categories. If anyone has those exact numbers, maybe you could share them.

Comment

It seemed to me that when the Augie announcement was made Butch Raymond had mentioned that an increase in scholarships in the NSIC was imminent.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
              It seemed to me that when the Augie announcement was made Butch Raymond had mentioned that an increase in scholarships in the NSIC was imminent.
              http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/articl...ex.cfm?id=5688 (login required, but it's the same setup as the Fargo paper)

If the four former NCC schools were admitted into the NSIC they would have to cut their respective football scholarships to the NSIC maximum of 24. All are currently near the NCAA maximum for D2 of 36.

Even if they were to cut its level of football scholarships they would still be considerably ahead of nearly all of the current members of the NSIC.

According to a study by Minnesota-Crookston regarding it’s athletic future, Mary played with a total of 25.1 football scholarships this season while Wayne State played with 18.5 scholarships, Winona State 17.7, Upper Iowa 15, BSU 13.4, Concordia-St. Paul and Northern State 12.6, Southwest Minnesota State 12.2, UMC 11.7 and Minnesota State-Moorhead 8.4.

All but Mary would immediately be at a disadvantage if the remaining NCC schools were to join the NSIC.

“Am I in favor of Augie, Mankato, UMD and SCSU coming into the league,” Tesch said. “From a pure competition level…no, because of where they’re funded and where we’re funded I don’t want to end up being a lower-rung team.

“You can’t keep asking us to be this competitive with 13 scholarships. We’re pulling rabbits out of a hat right now so that would scare me.”
              Most of the current NSIC schools aren't close to 24 FB schollies. Why would they want to compete with four, new fully-funded schools in-conference or raise the limits if they can't even get close to 24 now? The only scenario I could see the NSIC accepting all three orphan MN schools is if D-2 gets split into two football divisions and the NSIC sponsors two football conferences with seven or eight teams each (perhaps inviting the two Wash. schools for FB). The advantage of a mega-NSIC is that they would not have to worry about tracking down out-of-conference games if they desired since they could play 19 to 26 conference games in basketball if they reached 14 schools......

Comment

GV State knocks the last NCC team out of the playoffs.

GV St. 30
                UND    20
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: NCC's lose is the GNAC's gain - it is back

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the NSIC making site vists to 4 former NCC schools.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/153946

Site visits are set for four potential Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference members.

Representatives from each of the Northern Sun’s 10 schools will visit St. Cloud State on Feb. 19-20, Augustana on Feb. 23-24, Minnesota State Mankato on March 1-2 and Minnesota Duluth on March 5-6. (read more)

Comment

Working...
                  X