• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana having a hard time filling it's schedule

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...s/sports03.txt

Grizzly gridders still looking for game to fill gap in schedule
    By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian  

The Montana Grizzlies' 2007 football schedule is about 90 percent done, and director of athletics Jim O'Day figures to have it completed within a month.

He doubts that Southern Cal is the final piece to the puzzle, however.

O'Day, who has been Montana's AD for 18 months, said he has heard the rumors about the Griz playing national power USC this coming fall. But he says he hasn't heard from USC.

“You would always listen,” he said of playing the Trojans, who finished No. 4 in the final Associated Press poll. “But I haven't heard from anybody. I don't know where they would've come from.”

Such a game would've been another leap for one of the top programs in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly Division I-AA. In 2004 the Griz played at Oregon for $450,000; last year they went to Iowa for a $650,000 paycheck.

The Grizzlies, who finished last season ranked No. 4 after losing in the I-AA semifinals, have open dates on Sept. 15 and Sept. 22. O'Day is clear about what needs to happen for UM, which has six home games on the docket, to complete its schedule.

“It will either be a home game or a guarantee game,” said O'Day.  .  .  .  

O'Day hopes to schedule a home-and-home series with another FCS program, but that's dicey considering Montana's recent history. The Griz haven't been to Cal Poly, a nearly perennial foe, since 2001. They bought out a return trip to Hofstra scheduled for 2005, irritating Pride coach Joe Gardi.

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board.  .  .  .  (read more)

No way would I ever sign a home and home with Montana with the first game at Washington-Grizz.  To my way of thinking it would need to be a 2 for 1 with Montana coming to Brookings for the first two (game one is payback for our 2 for 1 that we did, game two is the front half of a home and home, and assuming all went well game three, in Missoula, is the back half of the home and home).

Go State!  

Re: Montana having a hard time filling it's schedu

They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board.
    Maybe I am being overly sensitive here but he really makes it sound like he can't understand why we wouldn't consider going there this year when they just bought out of a contract! What arrogance! Either that or he is selling his fan base on the fact that they are going to be playing Carroll College at home instead of a good FCS opponent anywhere.

I didn't think SDSU has any open dates on the schedule anyway (if the two new Gateway games are locked in (UNI and Youngstown).
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Phrases such as "too bad, so sad," "you made your bed, you lie in it" and "you reap what you sow" come to mind when considering the Grizzlies' scheduling woes. . .

If we ever schedule them in football again, I think we should hold out for a 2-for-1. Two at Coughlin-Alumni, one in Missoula.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        If we ever schedule them in football again, I think we should hold out for a 2-for-1. Two at Coughlin-Alumni, one in Missoula.
        And I'd double Montana's buyout from what they're paying us for next year's wussout.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
          And I'd double Montana's buyout from what they're paying us for next year's wussout.
          It would need to be more then that. Say $250,000 or more.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
            They just bought out South Dakota State instead of taking a trip to Brookings in September, hence the two-week gap in their schedule. O'Day is hoping to restart a home-and-home with the Jackrabbits, with it starting at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in 2007. So far, SDSU isn't on board.
            Maybe I am being overly sensitive here but he really makes it sound like he can't understand why we wouldn't consider going there this year when they just bought out of a contract!  What arrogance!  Either that or he is selling his fan base on the fact that they are going to be playing Carroll College at home instead of a good FCS opponent anywhere.

I didn't think SDSU has any open dates on the schedule anyway (if the two new Gateway games are locked in (UNI and Youngstown).

Well here is the next sentence after that quote:

“We understand why people would be upset,” said O'Day, who is still working at leveling an athletic budget that ran $1 million to the red in 2004. “But we have to continue to move on.”
            The article also states that NDSU needs to schedule 4 more games for next year. That is a lot of games, do we know where SDSU stands at this point in games that need to be scheduled for next year?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
              The article also states that NDSU needs to schedule 4 more games for next year.  That is a lot of games, do we know where SDSU stands at this point in games that need to be scheduled for next year?

As EQguy posted when the UNI (home) and Youngstown State (away) games are offical we are full up.  

2007 SDSU Schedule so far:

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
              Sept. 8 - TBA
              Sept. 15 - TBA
              Sept. 22 - Texas State
              Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
              Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
              Oct. 13 - TBA
              Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
              Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
              Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
              Nov.10 - Southern Utah
              Nov. 17 - NDSU

Go State!  

Comment

I sure do not have any sympathy for the Montana scheduling problems.....If...we would schedule them again, they can play us at home and then go out there or better yet back out on that game, give them a taste of there own medicine... They are too ful of themselves, heck they have done the same to Cal Poly for years, always making them come to Missoula

Go Jacks !!!!!
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Wow........I almost felt sorry for the Montana atheltic department there. Because they had no clue how to balance a budget, they relied on the football program to rough up a bunch of non-conference schools with home-home-buyout deals, tarnishing its reputation and further dirtying the image of the BS Conference.

Rob and Fred aren't going to bother listening to Montana unless the payout was much larger. Wanting a home-and-home with us? Yeah, right......I suppose they are thinking they could buyout the return trip for $10K (what Mont. St. is reportedly paying NDSU for its buyout) or the $50K we're allegedly getting from them. filbert and 89 are right, any future Montana deals should be a two-for-one (in our favor) with a VERY steep buyout.

If I were with NDSU and Montana called, my response would be: Match the paycheck we're getting from the Gophers.

Free advice to Montana: You should be able to milk UND and USD for some games over the five years. If you're real fortunate, the NSIC will reject St. Cloud and MSU, adding them to your pool of victims, I mean opponents.

Comment

I think the Montana people may have forgotten that college athletics needs to be run much like a business in order to be successful.

In the particular business of Division I athletics (or athletics at any level, actually), one of your key suppliers is the opposing college team. Without opponents, you don't have a product to sell.

Burning your suppliers is not generally considered to be a good long-term business strategy.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think the Montana people may have forgotten that college athletics needs to be run much like a business in order to be successful.

In the particular business of Division I athletics (or athletics at any level, actually), one of your key suppliers is the opposing college team.  Without opponents, you don't have a product to sell.

Burning your suppliers is not generally considered to be a good long-term business strategy.
                      Well put.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

In the particular business of Division I athletics (or athletics at any level, actually), one of your key suppliers is the opposing college team.  Without opponents, you don't have a product to sell.

I wonder how much arrogance has to do with that. Reminds me of some of the stink rising from our south. Things like "they should be happy to help us out" and "whats good for us will be good for them". Blind because of their own pride.

Screw Montana, let tham call USD and UND. Imagine the talk about a bid to the BSC then.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I missed all the heaps-o-hate between the XDSU's and the UXD's, but the Montana schools sound unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                            I missed all the heaps-o-hate between the XDSU's and the UXD's, but the Montana schools sound unbelievable.  

You think fans on this board are pissed, check this one out:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...isplay.php?f=2

UMontana, MSU and the BSC in general haven't made a lot of friends in the past couple of months!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Montana Scheduling Problems

Noticed this posted on the NDSU message board.  Interesting read, but can't say that I feel very sorry for them.  Kind of funny how their actions are coming back to bite them in the rear.   I think its pretty safe to say they aren't the only athletic department with money issues.

Quote:
                              "Because of our deficit, we were forced the past four years to buy out “return trips” to Hofstra, Cal Poly and South Dakota State (plus two more home games vs. Central Washington) – which hasn’t made UM very popular- and the word spreads."

http://www.grizzoulian.com/2007/01/a...-um/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X