• Show
Clear All

• Augie finding a niche

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...131/COLUMNISTS

Augustana football stakes its claim

By Stu Whitney
    swhitney@argusleader.com
    Published: January 30, 2007

When the NCAA's football signing period arrives Feb. 7, area coaches will unveil their recruits and trumpet this year's group as the most splendid in all the land.

Of course, since the true value of any class can't be judged for several years, much of this signing day hoopla is speculative.

It's more instructive to look for recruiting trends - telling shifts in what type of talent a school draws and where that talent comes from.

In that respect, Augustana's excitement next Wednesday will be perfectly legitimate.

Coach Brad Salem's third recruiting effort is his finest yet - especially in light of recent developments:

Brandon Valley running back Nathan Mahone, who originally chose the University of South Dakota, rescinded that verbal commitment over the weekend and will play for Augustana.

Salem also nailed down Washington High's Sam Holsen, one of the state's most dangerous playmakers. He heads a group of at least five Sioux Falls players who will sign with the Vikings.

Other in-state standouts committed to Augie include Argus Leader Elite 45 captain Dan O'Keefe (Aberdeen Roncalli) as well as Curt Truhe of Elk Point-Jefferson and Ben Wardell of Sturgis.

Obviously, no recruiting class is complete without out-of-state talent. But the Vikings' South Dakota haul, featuring several players who spurned USD, is too rich to ignore.

So what's going on here?

Salem and recruiting coordinator Steve Olinger have played up the school's new training facilities while selling a valid scenario of future Division II success.

But the trend also involves Sioux Falls, where the Vikings have worked hard to tighten their grip on the city's top prospects.

In addition to Holsen, they landed Roosevelt linemen Tyler Lynch and Louie Krabbenhoft as well as O'Gorman standouts Jordan Gerdes and Tom Jarding.

Salem, a Sioux Falls native who played at O'Gorman and Augustana, set the tone with a 2006 class that featured the Knights' Tyler Schulte and Ryan Isaacson as well as Roosevelt's Chris Janisch.

"What Brad did was make recruiting in Sioux Falls a priority," says O'Gorman coach Steve Kueter, who coached Salem in high school. "He has gone after the good city kids every year, and he's gone after them hard. There was a time when those players tended to go other places."

There were also times when Sioux Falls talent wasn't all that special. But the city's surging population and recent prep dominance has created a wealth of scholarship-level players.

The upper-crust athletes - Antonio Thompson, Dusty Coleman, Josh Mahoney, JaRon Harris - will reach higher and sign with South Dakota State or more established Division I programs. Roosevelt's Brad Iverson did just that by committing to the Jackrabbits on Monday

But Salem will make a play for the rest. .  .  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Augie finding a niche

I'm pulling for Augie to do well in the NSIC. I think Salem is going to be a great coach and he is showing his capacity for recruiting. Augie has a lot to offer recruits with their new and existing facilities and a expensive education. His message seems to be resonating with players in the state and beyond. They are getting some really good players from excellant programs in the Twin Cities as well.

Comment

My sources tell me that Anthony Watson and Andy Kardoes will play for Augustana next fall. Something about schools that are in transition, blah, blah, blah, and that they each have 1 semester of elgibility left at division 2 school. I wish them well, especially when they play usd2.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        My sources tell me that Anthony Watson and Andy Kardoes will play for Augustana next fall. Something about schools that are in transition, blah, blah, blah, and that they each have 1 semester of elgibility left at division 2 school. I wish them well, especially when they play usd2.

Kidding right?
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I've heard murmurs of the same ilk about Kardoes, nothing about Watson though.  It would be interesting to see what both would do to a D2 schedule like Augie plays.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

There's precedent for that. Didn't we have a player go to UND last year to use up the last of his eligibility?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Kardoes was given a medical redshirt for the 2003 season, when he was injured after only playing in three games. The medical redshirt, however, only applied to D-II and was lost when SDSU moved up to D-I. Watson, on the other hand, should not have any eligibility left as he played extensively during four seasons at SDSU.

Who is Augie's projected QB for next fall??

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
                [quote author=1bunnies link=1170168539/0#2 date=1170452434]My sources tell me that Anthony Watson and Andy Kardoes will play for Augustana next fall. Something about schools that are in transition, blah, blah, blah, and that they each have 1 semester of elgibility left at division 2 school. I wish them well, especially when they play usd2.

Kidding right?[/quote]
                Not Kidding. Go Augie. Kick the yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                  There's precedent for that. Didn't we have a player go to UND last year to use up the last of his eligibility?
                  Yes. His last name was Murray. OL

Comment

Yes. His last name was Murray. OL
                    I heard he played pretty well too, played a variety of spots along the offensive line.

Comment

Why are talking about Augie, or DII. Who cares? We moved on to DI years ago. Let's focus on the recruits we have coming in for 2007.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                        Why are talking about Augie, or DII.  Who cares?  We moved on to DI years ago.  Let's focus on the recruits we have coming in for 2007.
                        We are talking about former SDSU players that are going to play for Augie. Who put a quarter in you and turned on your computer. You have made a bunch of posts, but haven't said a thing.

Comment

[quote author=2002jack link=1170168539/0#10 date=1170483124]Why are talking about Augie, or DII.  Who cares?  We moved on to DI years ago.  Let's focus on the recruits we have coming in for 2007.
                          We are talking about former SDSU players that are going to play for Augie. Who put a quarter in you and turned on your computer. You have made a bunch of posts, but haven't said a thing.[/quote]

Amen to that!

Comment

I'd be very interested if Kardoes and Watson played for Augie. It would give me a reason to pay attention to Augie football more than I have in the past.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Watson has no eligibility left, but it would be interesting to see Kardoes help Augie knock usd out of play-off contention. I might actually pay to watch that game.

Comment

Working...
                              X