Why USD CAN go DI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why USD CAN go DI.

We have all heard plenty of reasons why USD cannot go DI. I would think there are some reasons they can. Yote fans, here's your chance, tell us why you CAN make it in DI.

Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

I don't think they can. Bottom line - $$$.

Comment

All else being equal in the current environment, dropping football scholarships might be the only way they could make D-1 work. : : :

Sportsfan is right, they don't appear to have the money.

Comment

I do think that if they can get some of the influential alumni engaged they might be able to raise the money and pull it off. I just don't think the leadership at USD has the vision or drive to make the move.

Comment

All of the above means usd stays D2 Fans don't care, no money=D2 forever

Comment

Can someone explain to me how a school which turns out doctors and lawyers can't raise the money?  What about their prestigious business school?  They have had to turn out some successful business people?  Do they not have enough alums to raise money?  Do their alumni simply not care about athletics except 1 or 2 times per year?  I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know what others think about this. :-? :-?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
              I do think that if they can get some of the influential alumni engaged they might be able to raise the money and pull it off.  I just don't think the leadership at USD has the vision or drive to make the move.
              There is serious money out there for USD to attempt to solicit. However, there is not a strong enough feeling of need to move up in the athletic ranks. I think USD is happy filling its current mission.

As an alum of the medical school I don't support them moving up right now. The focus needs to remain on bolstering current academic programs, when things are in a better place consider the move up. After all, SDSU and NDSU are blazing a trail that may make it easier in the future.

USD doesn't have to be DI, period. I for one don't see how it applies to SDSU and our current or future status.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think that jackmd's post says a lot about this subject. I have known several people who have earned their undergraduate degree at SDSU and advanced degrees at USD. The nearly universal theme that I have perceived among these people is that their hearts remain with SDSU. Sure, they support the grad school in their specific discipline at USD but are less enthusiastic about the University in general. This particular group of USD graduates may be less likely to dig into their pockets to support an upward move in athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                  I think that jackmd's post says a lot about this subject.  I have known several people who have earned their undergraduate degree at SDSU and advanced degrees at USD.  The nearly universal theme that I have perceived among these people is that their hearts remain with SDSU.  Sure, they support the grad school in their specific discipline at USD but are less enthusiastic about the University in general.  This particular group of USD graduates may be less likely to dig into their pockets to support an upward move in athletics.
                  JackMD, my wife and my brother all fit into this category.

Comment

I would think that most people who have attended separate undergrad and grad schools would fall into that category, certainly not unique to SDSU/USD.

Comment

Can someone explain to me how a school which turns out doctors and lawyers can't raise the money?  What about their prestigious business school?  They have had to turn out some successful business people?  Do they not have enough alums to raise money?  Do their alumni simply not care about athletics except 1 or 2 times per year?  I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know what others think about this.
                      USD's main focus for fundraising the past five years has been Campaign South Dakota. Originally slated to raise $60 million, they are approaching $120 million. Maybe when it ends this year they will start a fundraising effort for athletics. Abbot's main focus has been on the academic side. A move won't happen without his committment. :-[

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                        Can someone explain to me how a school which turns out doctors and lawyers can't raise the money?  What about their prestigious business school?  They have had to turn out some successful business people?  Do they not have enough alums to raise money?  Do their alumni simply not care about athletics except 1 or 2 times per year?  I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know what others think about this.
                        USD's main focus for fundraising the past five years has been Campaign South Dakota. Originally slated to raise $60 million, they are approaching $120 million. Maybe when it ends this year they will start a fundraising effort for athletics. Abbot's main focus has been on the academic side. A move won't happen without his committment. :-[
                        If USD has raised so much money, how come they had to beg the state to finish the Med School refurbishment?   :-?

Go State!

Comment

From the March 10, 2005 Argus Leader:

The medical school had $32 million from the Board of Regents, federal grants, contributions from the state's three major hospital systems and gifts from dozens of individuals and organizations.

When the bids came in at $37 million, $5 million higher than the estimated cost, that left a significant shortfall.

Officials took several steps to lower the project cost and reduce the shortfall to $1.8 million.
                          I think the Medical and Law Schools are practically their own entities (and separate from a campuswide fundraising initiative). I don't believe that USD's student government even represents the medical and law students.

As for the subject of this read, this is one compelling reason that USD can go D-1: THEY HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE! Their conference will soon be gone and they have very few peer schools left in D-2.

Maybe Al and Tom have a few extra million lying around they can give back to USD.........

Comment

Im one of those SDSU undergrad, USD law. As a law student, got an extra large coke poured on my head sitting in the USD section cheering for the Jacks. (By the way, there were more State grads in my law school class then USD grads) I believe USD will have to jump up. Their alumni, who are just as fervent as state grads, will not be satisfied being the orphan child. They do have alumni in high places who will dig in to their pockets and make it work. Abbott is a good fundraiser. I personally, dont see the rest of the NCC moving up.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                               They do have alumni in high places who will dig in to their pockets and make it work. Abbott is a good fundraiser.   I personally, dont see the rest of the NCC moving up.  
                              The money is potentially there to support a move to DI, but remember it will take a heck of a lot of money and you will have to convince USD supporters that the move to DI is about academics as well as athletics, in other words, its for the better of the whole institution. I think the people here see that but I'm not sure those with the deep pockets will agree. USD certainly will try to tap into a fast amount of potential funds, but will they secure them?
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X