Drexel wins in NCAA women's record 5 overtimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drexel wins in NCAA women's record 5 overtimes

[size=18]Drexel wins in NCAA women's record 5 overtimesAssociated Press[/size]
    PHILADELPHIA -- Gabriela Marginean scored a school-record 47 points and Drexel beat Northeastern 98-90 in five overtimes Thursday night in the longest game in NCAA women's basketball history.

The 65-minute game eclipsed the previous record of four overtimes, which occurred 11 times, most recently between Northern Illinois and Bowling Green on Feb. 18, 2004. Northern Illinois won that game 102-97.

The NCAA men's record is seven overtimes, set in Black Hills' 80-79 victory over Yankton in a 1956 Division II game, and matched by Cincinnati in a 75-73 win over Bradley in a Division I game in 1981.Marginean, a freshman, scored 20 of her points in four overtime periods and finished with 22 rebounds before fouling out for Drexel (8-19, 3-13 Colonial Athletic Association).

Shaleyse Smallwood scored a career-high 37 points for the Huskies (4-23, 3-13), and tied the game six times down the stretch.

Drexel held a 13-point lead at the half before Northeastern rallied in the second half and forged a 55-all tie at the end of regulation. Each team scored seven points in the first overtime, 10 in the second extra period, eight in the third and five in the fourth OT.

In the fifth overtime period, Delise Johnson made two free throws that put Drexel ahead to stay, and teammate Narissa Suber followed a timely field goal with a pair of 3-pointers as the Dragons used a 13-5 run to clinch the win.

Northeastern shot 28-for-74 from the field, including 5-for-23 from 3-point range. The Huskies were 29-for-35 from the line.

Drexel shot 35-for-73, including 6-for-23 from long distance. The Dragons were 22-for-29 from the line and held a 50-36 rebounding edge.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Man what a game, i wish i could have seen it!
Working...
X