NCAA considering the addition of Canadian schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA considering the addition of Canadian schools

I'm not sure where to post this.  Maybe it has already been posted.  I found it interesting.  The NCAA is considering the addition of Canadian teams.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...43&k=87993

Perhaps we can talk  the Univesity of Alberta, or the Univesity of Saskatchewan to join the Midcon.

But, most likely the woeful Midcon will be more appealing to the University of Northern Saskatchewan Purdue-Moose Jaw or UNSPMJ.  I believe thier mascot is the lemmings.

;D ;D
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: NCAA considering the addition of Canadian scho

There would be a definite loss of interest in Canadian recruits if this were to happen. Canadian athletes wouldn't value come to a US school if they can already play for an NCAA championship. Considering we are very close to Canada this would hurt our recruiting efforts up there. To what extent though is a question mark.

Comment

So would the NCAA become the NACAA (North American Collegiate Athletic Association)?

Comment

ICAA - international collegiate ...

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If the NCAA had ever wanted to add Canadian teams, it should have happened about a decade ago. The feasibility and practicality of such a plan really took a hit after 9/11 and is not helped by new federal regulations requiring passports for all U.S. citizens who wish to travel to Canada and Mexico. It might be problematic for the Canadian teams to get into a conference or even schedule home games because of the passport requirement (this alone could add a couple thousand dollars to the cost of such a trip) and the hassle of dealing with Customs.

Comment

What about football? Would these teams switch to American Football, or remain playing Canadian Football? If they stayed with Canadian Football, would the NCAA add Canadian Football as an NCAA sport, or would these schools belong to a Canadian organization for this? It would be interesting if Canadian Football was added as an NCAA sport, that would open the doors to American schools playing Canadian football if they wished.

If some Canadian schools were to join the NCAA, I wonder if the rest would follow. It could open the door to some much-needed reorganization. However, new passport requirements could make this awkward.

Comment

Like Canada. Like Canadian football, but Canada's population is less than California. The NCAA won't add another sport.

Comment

I seem to recall that at least some of the Canadian colleges actually play football with American rules, not Canadian . . . not sure about that, too lazy to google it . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Does anybody look forward to the playing of both anthems?

Everybody on three...

1, 2, 3...

OOHHHHH CANADA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                    Does anybody look forward to the playing of both anthems?

Everybody on three...

1, 2, 3...

OOHHHHH CANADA!!!
                    Hey, I actually kinda like Oh Canada . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's kind of catchy... Aye!

Comment

Unless they are really small colleges, as far as I know, all of the Candian Universities play Canadian Football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...iversity_Sport (The Canadian version of the NCAA)
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanier_Cup (The Canadian College Football Championship game)

Just a sample of one school's schedule, the University of Alberta:

8/25: @ Regina L27-20
                        9/2: @ Saskatchewan L27-6
                        9/9: @ Calgary W 17-15
                        9/16: vs. British Columbia W18-17
                        9/23: @ Manitoba L29-14
                        10/1: @ Simon Fraser W 39-36
                        10/14: vs. Calgary W33-10
                        10/21: vs. Saskatchewan L 28-11
                        10/28: vs. Regina L 36-25

The western teams tend to play teams twice in the same season, the eastern teams, being in a denser population are able to fill a schedule playing teams only once. I think if the CIS were to merge with the NCAA, the NCAA would add Canadian Football. If they did not add Canadian Football, these Canadian teams would more likely maintain a seperate organization for football.

Now, if the NCAA were to only add some Canadian teams, but not all, then these schools would have to make a choice to play American football, or to remain members of CIS for football. I expect they would do the latter.

It is conceivable that if the NCAA added Canadian football as a result of a merger, that some American teams might consider Canadian football.

There was a quote by a representative of one Canadian school who talked about playing hockey at the D-II level. There's no D-II hockey anymore*, but if the Canadian schools wanted to play D-II hockey, this could breathe new life into D-II hockey. With the addition of Canadian teams into D-II, this could encourage American D-II schools to add hockey.

*Technically, there is D-II hockey, just no championship. There are a couple of D-II hockey programs, such as Crookston, that play in D-III conferences, but are not elligible for playoffs.

Comment

Being Canadian I have heard and read alot about this. From what I understand is The NCAA is considering taking something like a 5 - 10 year trial run with Canadian Schools. The reason they want the Canadian Schools is because on a World Wide Scale Canadian schools have better academics. The NCAA wants some of that prestige in it. About the different athletic teams. I read somewhere that the schools that do change to NCAA would change all of their sports with the exception of football. The reason for this is funding... The difference between a CIS (Canadian Interuniversity sports) football budget and an NCAA budget is HUGE! Where an NCAA team operates on im guessing over a million a year a CIS school has about 3 - 600,000 a year to work with (including scholarship funds). I heard that a CIS budget is somewhere around a US High School budget.

For what schools being considered to go NCAA... U of Alberta, UBC (University of British Columbia), and I wouldnt be supprised to see SFU (Simon Fraser University) take a shot at it because a few years ago they competed in the NAIA... they tried to transfer their athletics to NCAA D2 but were denied before coming to the CIS

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                            It's kind of catchy... Aye!
                            and for the record its "eh" not Aye

Comment

I got ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X