Coach Ray Giacoletti Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Ray Giacoletti Resigns

Utah Basketball Coach Ray Giacoletti Resigns (former NDSU coach)

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...030207aaa.html
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Coach Ray Giacoletti Resigns

Kai's dad knows this guy really well..I will have to go tell him.

Comment

Ray was in my opinion a great coach. He did a great job at Eastern Washington which got him into the Utah program.

I always thought he could pass as Coach Stig's brother. Their color of hair and facial features of both seem to match.

Utah is one of those places where they have high expectations. The handwriting apparently was on the wall. I think the salary buyout is pretty generous so I sure he will find a place somewhere.

Comment

hmm wonder why he resigned because of then losing the kid to the NBA draft ?? or because they were not winning too many games ?

Comment

I would be speculating, but I think its the winning part that has him in this fix. I suspect his first year, it was Rick Majerish's (not sure of spelling). team.The last two years including this season have been not really shown improvement over what his precessor was able to accompolish. I would further guess that the AD offered the buyout in exchange for resignation which Ray took. The 1963 national champ team from SDSU played Utah close in 1962, and they had a great program then with a trips to the final four. Who ever coaches Utah had better win. Its kind of a raw deal, but its about $$$$$$$$. Losing players to the NBA really hurts the top programs in the D1 so that probably has contributed to more losses this year than what has been expected.  Add to that pressure from major corporate sponsors and big time boosters, the AD is force to take action. So probably is a combination of several things.

Comment

The basketball expectations at Utah (set by Majerus and a Final Four run or two) are very high. They're 11-17 this year. That ain't gonna cut it with Ute fans.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

Giacoletti sitting well with buyout

Mike McFeely, The Forum
              Published Saturday, March 03, 2007

Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys.

Heck no, that’s not nearly lucrative enough.

Let ’em be doctors and lawyers and such?

Sorry. Way too much schooling. And way too much work.

No sir, with apologies to Waylon Jennings, mamas should be pushing their babies into coaching.

Laugh if you will, all you high school coaches being paid the equivalent of 50 cents an hour for the privilege of being bawled out by a loony-tune parent, but more evidence came down the pike Friday.

Ray Giacoletti, our Ray Giacoletti of North Dakota State fame, resigned as the basketball coach at the University of Utah. His final two years of a three-year stay in Salt Lake City were an abysmal failure, boosters have wanted his hide for months and fans stayed away from Runnin’ Utes games the way Britney Spears stays away from intelligence.

So, naturally, Ray Jack is walking away with a $700,000 buyout on top of the

$1.5 million or so in salary he’s already deposited.

Capitalism rocks! . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

I think McFeeley could have been a little more charitible in his column, but Mike does have some good points. The money coaches seem to find themselves reappearing some where at some time. I expect Giacoletti will have this same opportunity. I will be curious to see who Utah hires as a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                X