X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida looking for WBB Coach

Hope the don't know about AJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2763278

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Florida looking for WBB Coach

Let's not get ahead of ourselves before there is actually speculation Florida is interested.

Comment

I was joking, should have added an emoticon. sorry.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

LSU and Michigan will have openings for their women's basketball programs also.

Comment

LSU's coach allegedly had some inappropriate actions that lead to her leaving LSU.
          http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2791950

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            LSU's coach allegedly had some inappropriate actions that lead to her leaving LSU.
            http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2791950
            Yikes!

From what I know it's more likely LSU would make a run at Baylor's coach (who's from Louisiana) than at AJ, but who knows, really?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Personally, I hope they all leave AJ alone. I'm happy with AJ right where he is at. I hope he is too. A deep run into the WNIT could change a lot of things.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                Personally, I hope they all leave AJ alone. I'm happy with AJ right where he is at. I hope he is too. A deep run into the WNIT could change a lot of things.
                When the Argus-Leader yahoos asked him about it, he seemed reasonably content about being right where he was. He might just be one of those guys who wants to stay reasonably close to home.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The disparity in head coaches salaries for BCS schools compared to mid-major schools is much less in women's than in men's. For this reason along with the fact AJ has his current recruiting channels set would make it harder for him to leave.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    [quote author=1bunnies link=1171389914/0#6 date=1173409924]Personally, I hope they all leave AJ alone. I'm happy with AJ right where he is at. I hope he is too. A deep run into the WNIT could change a lot of things.
                    When the Argus-Leader yahoos asked him about it, he seemed reasonably content about being right where he was. He might just be one of those guys who wants to stay reasonably close to home.[/quote]

If memory serves me correctly, AJ also stated that he has never been contacted about another position coaching WBB. Most of the "power conference" coaches for WBB are female, making an upward move highly unlikely for AJ. Unless AJ wants to coach men's BB or the Gophers call, my hunch is that he will continue building our program into one of the top mid-major WBB programs in D-I for quite some time.

Comment

I think we went through this same exericise a couple years back when Oklahoma State made a coaching change and the OSU AD was watching the WBB game when SDSU gave them a beating on the court. Any member of the SEC has to have tons of candidates and I really wonder if they know South Dakota exists let alone the state intitutions that are now D1.

Coach Nagy applied for Badley's head job a few years back and even as a finalist he did not get a interview. Also I tracked the message board on the Peoria newspaper. The fans where posting like mad about the other finalists and not once did they mention Nagy. Mostly because he was D2 I suppose, but the fans seemed to have their mind made up about the others.

The positives for SDSU is that according to a salary survey that the Fargo Forum did about coaching salaries in the Mid Con, AJ is next to Amy Ruley of NDSU in receiving the top salary of 117k and AJ was close at about 94k so he apparently has several incentives in his contract which helps us out and makes it harder for AJ to leave. I believe the women' coach at SUU was getting something like 50k.

I suppose the search committee at Florida could make a mistake and send a request for a resume to Chad Lavin thinking he is the good coach in South Dakota that they vaguely heard about. ;D

Lastly the RPI has given us some exposure, but may not enough to lose a good coach, lets hope so.

Comment

I love AJ and if he ends up moving to a big time program in a big time conference it would be fantastic for SDSU and AJ!

I'm not rooting for him to go at all, but the sky wouldn't crash! We would attract a very good list of potential candidates.

He has a good thing going here and in my opinion it would take a pretty impressive opportunity to get him to leave here. Women's Basketball is well supported by the fans at SDSU which is not the case even in some of the biggest conferences.

However, if we win the WNIT (it could happen!), his phone would probably start ringing. When we win the Mid-Con and get into the NCAA (it will happen, soon!), his phone may start ringing. My point being that it is going to happen, it's just a matter of when AND IT'S A GOOD THING!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The matter of time thing should happen for AJ, he has done everything right to earn those opportunities. I guess I missed First row' second post in which he admitted to being in jest with the first post. . I had taken the first post literally and the joke is on me. I dont think there is a coaching position at SDSU that would not have applications when and if a vacancy occurs. Even Golf and tennis seem to have interest as it's never a case where we could not find a coach. These jobs are hardly big money. More like volunteer spirit.

Comment

Working...
                          X