Future of the Great West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of the Great West

Since we are headed to the Gateway, I put this here. Will the Great West survive SDSU and NDSU moving to the Gateway? I would think that the first thought for the remaining schools is to get UND/USD in and that there wouldn't be much change. Pretty much same travel costs, etc. But I would think this development is going to put a major emphasis on getting into a conference that can get an auto bid and some stability. SUU would move to Big Sky if it is ever offered. USD and UND both have to be looking at something closer to home, not sure what, but that is what I am asking about. Where would the GWFC schools go or who can they bring in to keep the conference alive.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Future of the Great West

Listened to Stig on WNAX today and when asked about the fact that GWFC would be down to three but looking at adding, he said that Davis and Poly, particularly Davis, will be looking at moving up now.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

In at least the short term, it will survive. UND and USD might want something closer to home, but they would be unlikely to be foolish enough to turn down the GWFC. But each school will be paying attention to other conference opportunities. I'm not sure about the GWFC's possibilities for expansion beyond the UxDs. Enticing teams to move from more stablished conferences to the GWFC might be difficult. Another possibility is that more D-II schools that have football could move up and need a conference home. A third possibility is some teams are forced out of FBS due to low attendance, they might need to play football in a different conference. I think it is unlikely that the NCAA has any teeth on this though.

So, unless some of the three remaining schools find new conferences, I think the GWFC has a few more years left at least.

Comment

In the short-term:

1) I'm guessing that the GWFC has simply crossed out the "State" on their future schedules list when it comes to SDSU and NDSU.
        2) USD and UND may very well end up in the GWFC in 2008 because the other schools may not have nay other viable scheduling options.
        3) Hope that San Diego adds scholarships and/or some schools (Utah Valley St.) start a football program.

In the long-term, the future of the GWFC may be in the hands of the Big Sky (aka BS) Conference and its members. They could choose to add Southern Utah to get to 10 or they may lock up the UxDs if a school leaves. Unless the GWFC can get to seven schools, I have trouble seeing it survive beyond a few years,

If there is no GWFC:
        UC-Davis may have to jump to the bowl subdivision and use the Fresno St. book (anyone, anywhere). Cal Poly and SUU probably will be stuck in Independent Hell. If this were to occur, I would hope that the NCAA would encourage schools to schedule them by allowing them to play a 12th game if they're in an ironclad home-and-home with Cal Poly and/or SUU (similar to the situation with Hawaii).

Comment

I was unaware of the Hawaii rule - it makes a lot of sense. Do they get anything like that for other sports, does any of the Alaska schools get a similar set up for their sports.

Comment

There has been alot of talk about UC Davis moving up to FBS, but in all seriousness how close are they. If they felt they were real close their new stadium would have had a few more seats in it. I don't think their scholarship situation is not any more different than ours, only recently being fully "schollied". From 63 to 85? is a considerable jump. Of course things have changed considerably with the XDSUs leaving, but I wouldn't expect Davis to be making the move for 8-10 years. I hope we continue to play them as much as possible and hope that the wine country does not fall on hard times.

Comment

Oh I don't know, if they add USD and UND and whoever else, plus schedule SDSU and NDSU in our open dates. Things could go alright for them. I for one would like to keep SUU, Davis and Cal Poly on the schedule as much has possible. They are good programs and we have start some small rivial games with each school (some more than others). Davis and Cal Poly seem to be in the rankings year in and year out.

Plus both Davis and Cal Poly play FBS schools each year.

Comment

Working...
              X