• Tubby Smith is a Minnesota Gopher

Holy crap!!
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: Tubby Smith is a Minnesota Gopher

WOW!!!! You are right:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406

Comment

I think it is cool that Toby told Kentucky to stick it when they demanded that he fire his staff or be fired himself! He has an 81% win percentage! Maybe they can get away with that at Kentucky!

That is a really good get for the Gophers! Tubby seems like a pretty solid guy to me.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think this is a good hire for Minnesota because regardless of whether Smith was still able to keep UK as one of the elite of the elite, he brings the credibility to move the Gophers up several steps from where they have been for a long time. All I can say to Kentucky fans is be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Like it or not, race played a role in the unwillingness of some influential UK alums to ever accept Tubby Smith, who by any measure has been a great coach down there. The legacy of Adolph Rupp (recall that Rupp never recruited a single black player during his 1930 to 1972 tenure at UK) lives on down there.

I think this is a great hire for the Gophers.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Great hire for the Gophers.

Comment

GROWING UP IN MN I LOVE GOPHER BB AND EVERYTHING ELSE, BUT THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE BEEN SO HARD TO WATCH. I LOVE THAT THEY GOT SMITH, HE'S THE KIND OF COACH THAT PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY UNDER, AND I HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT THE TEAM IS EXCITED AND THAT LOCAL KIDS ARE EXCITED FOR THE FUTURE!

GOOD FOR THE U

Comment

Well, Tubby is going to need a damn good recruiter so he can rebuild the Gophers in a hurry. Even though he is likely the second-most popular coach in the Twin Cities right now (after the Twins' Gardenhire), he'll likely just have a one-year honeymoon (at tops) with the Gopher fans. The Big Ten(11) is probably better suited for his coaching style than the SEC.....

Comment

I wouldn't count him out just yet. Let's give him a chance to recruit for a couple of years and then you can knock on him. He's going to bring positive energy to that school, which is something that hasn't happened for awhile (unless counting the hire of the new FB coach). Give him 3 years and see if he can get them to the Big Dance and then you can count him out.

Comment

And can he be any worse then what they've had in the last decade.....

Comment

I think he will get more than a one-year honeymoon at Minnesota. The wheels have fallen off the wagon, so the standards will be pretty low. Just to improve would meet expectations. I'm looking for an NIT trip for the Gophers next year. I think that recruiting has nowhere to go but up at Minnesota.

Comment

I just watched the web cast of the official announement and introduction of Smith. Yes he is a great coach with a great W/L %. But what struck me was how classy and a "stand up" kind of person, he talked about becoming involved in the community and wanting to make a differenece and give back. He will be a great role model as a person and a coach.

Comment

Did they say anything about assistants? Is he bringing anyone from UK with him, anyone staying on?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                            Did they say anything about assistants? Is he bringing anyone from UK with him, anyone staying on?
                            I suspect he'll bring almost everybody with him. The key of course will be recruiting. If Tubby can keep the local talent in state and grab a few blue chip recruits success will follow. Gopher fans had better be in this for the long run, there isn't really a better option out there. I think its great news for the U of M, Minnesota and the upper midwest for that matter. Joe Maturi comes out smelling like a rose again (for now).
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              [quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1174592403/0#12 date=1174693557]Did they say anything about assistants? Is he bringing anyone from UK with him, anyone staying on?
                              I suspect he'll bring almost everybody with him.  The key of course will be recruiting.  If Tubby can keep the local talent in state and grab a few blue chip recruits success will follow.  Gopher fans had better be in this for the long run, there isn't really a better option out there.  I think its great news for the U of M, Minnesota and the upper midwest for that matter.  Joe Maturi comes out smelling like a rose again (for now).[/quote]

I was one that personally thought that Maturi should have followed Monson and Mason. Especially after giving Mason a contract extension just last year and than canning him the very next. Clearly a mistake there. He seems to have hired a football coach that the media seems to be friendly too, even thought not a game has been played yet. With Tubby Smith, Maturi gets one of the bigger names in coaching that have ever coached the Maroon and Gold. It will be interesting to see which team, basketball or football will see bigger improvement next year. I personally think that the football team has a little more in the cupboard for competitive talent. Time will tell of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X