X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official the NCC is History

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70402026

Re: It's official the NCC is History

Congratulations to our former NCC brethren and best of luck to them in collecting the NSIC championships for years to come.

I wish them nothing but good years ahead.

Comment

It is always interesting to see how a person's or instiution's perspective will change when neccessity demands it. Five to ten years ago many of those same schools probably looked down on the NSIC. There are many fans, coaches, athletes, etc. with their foot in their mouth.

Comment

That just leaves USD and UND without a conference. Best of luck to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
          It is always interesting to see how a person's or instiution's perspective will change when neccessity demands it. Five to ten years ago many of those same schools probably looked down on the NSIC. There are many fans, coaches, athletes, etc. with their foot in their mouth.
          You are correct in the way the NSIC was looked at as the lesser conference. But then who would have thought ten years ago that it would be the NCC that had to fold and not the NSIC. Change has been on the horizon for years, but I don't think anyone thought the NCC would disappear this quickly. We are fortunate our administration saw this coming and made the proactive choices, although they were not easy and the times have not always been good. Just glad we are where we are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
            [quote author=SD-STATE link=1175547812/0#2 date=1175551975]It is always interesting to see how a person's or instiution's perspective will change when neccessity demands it. Five to ten years ago many of those same schools probably looked down on the NSIC. There are many fans, coaches, athletes, etc. with their foot in their mouth.
            You are correct in the way the NSIC was looked at as the lesser conference. But then who would have thought ten years ago that it would be the NCC that had to fold and not the NSIC. Change has been on the horizon for years, but I don't think anyone thought the NCC would disappear this quickly. We are fortunate our administration saw this coming and made the proactive choices, although they were not easy and the times have not always been good. Just glad we are where we are now.[/quote]
            Ahem . . . the NSIC is still the "lesser" conference. The Mid-Continent and the Gateway Football Conferences now indisputably represent the highest level of college athletics in the Dakotas. (Depending on how the Gophers are doing that year in a particular sport, throw in Minnesota, too ;-) )

The great advantage of the NCC was that it had Division I-quality institutions playing D-II athletics. Now that most of those institutions have moved up to their proper classification (or, to be charitable, have announced that they will move up) the NCC was destined to fall back into the pack in D-II (or, as has happened, evaporate and be absorbed into the NSIC).

Still, it's a sad day for Upper Midwest college athletics. The NCC's roots were intertwined with the Big 10's roots. We've lost some history today.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I haven't heard anything about the UNO. Anyone know what their future holds?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit
                I haven't heard anything about the UNO.  Anyone know what their future holds?

Who?

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                  [quote author=MontanaRabbit link=1175547812/0#6 date=1175566306]I haven't heard anything about the UNO. Anyone know what their future holds?

Who?[/quote]

Nebraska Omaha UNO

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit
                    [quote author=West-River_Jack link=1175547812/0#7 date=1175568885][quote author=MontanaRabbit link=1175547812/0#6 date=1175566306]I haven't heard anything about the UNO.  Anyone know what their future holds?

Who?[/quote]

Nebraska Omaha     UNO[/quote]

Don't remember who they are. But good luck to that school too.

Comment

I realize that everyone is moving on to bigger and better things, but it is sad.  I have lots of fond memories of the old NCC.  My fondest would have to be my trips as a kid to see Holiday Tournament games in Sioux Falls.  

Comment

The NCC has a rich history.  I hope people running the conference have a plan in place for preserving some of the records.  Anyone hear anything about that?  Will the records be maintained by one of the former conference members?  

I have a book published by the NCC in the mid-70s which is a compilation of statistics, year-by-year records etc.  Not sure where it is right now (you know, in one of those boxes from the last move).

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...51/1002/SPORTS

Augie happy to be in Northern Sun, and they mean it

By Matt Zimmer
                          mzimmer@argusleader.com
                          Published: April 5, 2007

There are some who will continue to view Augustana's move to the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference as a step down no matter what the NSIC does or has done to improve its caliber over the last half-dozen years or so.

They may not be wrong, but the best part of their move to the NSIC is that the athletic department as a whole seems genuinely excited to be making this move.

Schools all over are nervously making moves they clearly feel forced into. The Vikings resisted the temptation, recognized where they belong, and can now look forward to being a part of a 14-team conference in which they should be very competitive in all sports. . . . (Read more)

Go State!

Comment

First off, I want to state that I am glad SDSU is doing what were doing. Second, I believe the NSIC can become one of the powerful D2 conferneces in the country. In time some new rivalries will develope and I believe there will be very good competition in the NSIC.

Comment

I could easily see the NSIC splitting into 2 conferences in the short-term future (5-10 years) similar to what the WAC did a few years back. The original WAC teams left and formed the Mountain West. Who knows the NCC may resurrect in the future. There is also the possiblility of a couple more of the former brothers in the NCC may leap to D-1. It is a lot more fun to be a leader than a follower. It sure is a great time to be a Jackrabbit!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X