X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soderberg done at Saint Louis

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_...&type=lgns

Re: Soderberg done at Saint Louis

I hear this on the radio this morning. After reading the story it makes you wonder if SLU wants to hire a "big name" coach to bring in the donars. :-?

Go State!

Comment

I wish Brad the very best wherever he ends up. When he was at SDSU, my wife taught their son Kramer in Kindergarten. I have followed his stops since then.

Comment

This from campus leadership that pecked Charlie Spoonhauer to death for not keeping careful receipts.

A little late in the year to be making the switch.

Comment

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

Comment

For a small guard, Soderberg's kid appears to be the real deal:

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/sports_ar...?storyid=90261

Comment

I wish Coach Soderberg and his family the best in the future. I really enjoyed him as a person when he was at SDSU those two years. If it were not the connection to Coach Bennett, who later took over at Wisconsin, we might have had him as a coach longer. I personally did not care too much about the Bennett half court offense and many fans might agree. Otherwise, Brad was a great person and coach while at SDSU.

I read all the posted links and its typical of D1 basketball today, in that the dollar has a big bearing on every aspect of the [program. Trying to finish up the fund raising may have been part of the equation, but I think the role of picking up the scandal pieces and putting them back together again was also a big part of it. Its like puttting humpity dumpity back together again, only having a five year time frame to do it. This is what I feel what has happened, time has run out for Coach Soderberg. I dont think it was about personality clashes or other things. I think the Admin at SLU felt they needed to make a change and see if they can find a humpty dumpty fixer better than Coach Soderberg.

Comment

Who the heck do they think they are going to get? There are a lot of "big name" coaches that have just taken new positions. You make a move like this in the middle of March, not the middle of April!

By the way, how old is his son? I see the story was from the winter of 2006, but it does not say what grade he is in.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher
                  Who the heck do they think they are going to get? There are a lot of "big name" coaches that have just taken new positions. You make a move like this in the middle of March, not the middle of April!

By the way, how old is his son? I see the story was from the winter of 2006, but it does not say what grade he is in.
                  Brad was at SDSU for the 93-94 and 94-95 seasons. Kramer was a Kindergarten student one of those years. I'm ot sure which year though.

Comment

D1 Coach/DII Coach

I put a couple of St. Louis Post Dispatch Links over on the general college athletics section. There are others that you can get if you look at the site.

Editorial Comments on Brad Soderberg's firing:

1. CEO Father Biondi is a micro-managing jerk who cut his AD off at her knees.
                    2. Brad Soderberg was a real nice guy.
                    3. He was, however, not a great bench coach and a poor recruiter.
                    4. Twenty victories in a weak conference isn't enough.
                    5. He should probably have been fired, but they did it too late and treated him poorly
                    6. CEO Father Biondi is a micro-managing jerk who can't communicate.

They wouldn't have spoken that way about Lorenzo Romar or Charlie Spoonhauer. By inference, those guys were genuine DI coaches. Soderberg was essentially a DII coach who was out of his element. Despite a partial year fill-in as Wisconsin head coach he should have stayed at SDSU or Loras for god's sake.

Given Soderberg's SDSU background and some general feelings about Nagy's difficulties in making the shift to DI, I'll ask the question here, not in the existing Soderberg thread.

Tim Miles aside. Is there enough of a difference, so that some coaches, by nature, can't make it in big time basketball? Was Soderberg, once a DII coach, always a DII coach?

Comment

Re: D1 Coach/DII Coach

John Beilein, Bruce Pearl, Bo Ryan, John Cheney, Lute Olson & Dick Bennett-- What do they have in common?

All coached at D-II level or lower (Partial Credit to PK)
                      Lute Olson was once a high school coach as was Skip Prosser of Wake Forest. Coach Nagy can coach!

Comment

I stand by Coach Nagy and believe in him both as a coach and as a man!

The answer to the theory being tested in this thread will be revealed over the next 3-5 years now that we will have a conference home and be eligible for the NCAA Tournament. To judge Nagy on the years on transition wouldn't be fair to a man that has had a very good record at SDSU! Sure Miles has had a better transition but his record before the last couple years pales in comparison to Nagy's.

My feeling is that in a couple of years SDSU Men's Basketball will be back where we all want it to be, contending for a conference title!

HAVEN'T WE REHASHED THIS ABOUT FIVE TIMES ALREADY?!?!?!?!?

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                          I stand by Coach Nagy and believe in him both as a coach and as a man!

The answer to the theory being tested in this thread will be revealed over the next 3-5 years now that we will have a conference home and be eligible for the NCAA Tournament.  To judge Nagy on the years on transition wouldn't be fair to a man that has had a very good record at SDSU!  Sure Miles has had a better transition but his record before the last couple years pales in comparison to Nagy's.

My feeling is that in a couple of years SDSU Men's Basketball will be back where we all want it to be, contending for a conference title!

HAVEN'T WE REHASHED THIS ABOUT FIVE TIMES ALREADY?!?!?!?!?

SUPERBUNNY
                          Yes we have!

Comment

No dis. meant to Soderberg or Nagy for that matter. It's just that the underlying suggestion in the Post Dispatch articles was that recruiting was an area that any DI coach lives or dies by, and that Soderberg was a big comedown from his predecessor in that regard. They also stated that by waiting too long in the year, all the bona fide DI talent had already been taken.

Of course, I could look across at UM-C and see what happened when a successful DII move up that I remember well from his days at State College of Iowa (Norm Stewart) was replaced by the someone with real DI credentials, the uber-smarmy Quin Snyder.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
                              I put a couple of St. Louis Post Dispatch Links over on the general college athletics section.  There are others that you can get if you look at the site.

Editorial Comments on Brad Soderberg's firing:

1. CEO Father Biondi is a micro-managing jerk who cut his AD off at her knees.
                              2. Brad Soderberg was a real nice guy.
                              3. He was, however, not a great bench coach and a poor recruiter.
                              4. Twenty victories in a weak conference isn't enough.
                              5. He should probably have been fired, but they did it too late and treated him poorly
                              6. CEO Father Biondi is a micro-managing jerk who can't communicate.

They wouldn't have spoken that way about Lorenzo Romar or Charlie Spoonhauer.  By inference, those guys were genuine DI coaches.  Soderberg was essentially a DII coach who was out of his element.  Despite a partial year fill-in as Wisconsin head coach he should have stayed at SDSU or Loras for god's sake.  

Given Soderberg's SDSU background and some general feelings about Nagy's difficulties in making the shift to DI, I'll ask the question here, not in the existing Soderberg thread.  

Tim Miles aside.  Is there enough of a difference, so that some coaches, by nature, can't make it in big time basketball?  Was Soderberg, once a DII coach, always a DII coach?  
                              I would agree pretty much with what everyone said its kind of an individual thing in terms of the progression from D2 to D1 in terms of adjustment of coaches. I think the big difference and this affects coaching and their recruiting is the academic differences between D1 and D2. Under the D1 certification process, student athletes have to progress towards earning a degree. This is not a requirement in D2 or D3 and opens up explotation of the pure athlete that is not prepared for college level classrooms. Also it explains why the gifted athlete that is academically unprepared ends up at a JUCO institution. To me the certification process is the true beauty of moving up to D1. The naysayers said SDSU academics would go south with the move to D1. Not true.

I think Brad Soderberg was prepared to move up when he left SDSU and went to work for his mentor from Wisconsin Stevens Point, Dick Bennett at Wisconsin. Brad was an assistant at Wisconsin so that experience should have prepared him for St Louis. Again every coaching job is different, with different administrations, booster groups and what have you. How that individual fits in often depends on how many wins he can accumulate and how many fans he can draw to fill the areana. Its seems cruel but that is how it works.

Coach Nagy has all his success in terms of wins as a D2 coach. He has yet to prove that he is a bonified D1 coach. Time is running out. He needs more than six wins this coming season. Perhaps the change in assistant coaches and the addition of one more assistant will start to show what he is made of at the D1 level. There are so many varibles involved. Its up to Coach Nagy to prove himself. Life goes on for me pretty much the same.  In general coaches build their own career no matter what level of competition. They have to expect to win and they have to expect that there is no tenure only buy outs of contracts.

Comment

Working...
                              X