• SLU to Mo Valley?????

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10159065

Saint Louis, please hook up with Missouri Valley

April 30, 2007
    By Gary Parrish
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The new arena is in the works.

The new coach is hired and in place.

Now the only thing standing between Saint Louis and the best basketball setup it could possibly possess is a 2.02-mile drive. So now that Rick Majerus has been introduced as Brad Soderberg's replacement, president Father Lawrence Biondi should put his famously massive ego aside for a moment, hop in his car, trek across town and knock on the door of Missouri Valley Conference commissioner Doug Elgin.

Biondi should ask to enter his office.

Then he should ask to enter his league.

"It's not an issue right now, but if it ever came up we'd have to look at it," Elgin told CBS SportsLine.com when asked about the possibility of SLU gaining membership. "We've always had an interest in looking at institutions that could have a positive impact on our conference." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: SLU to Mo Valley?????

I have a son who lives in Omaha and I have attended CU basketball games a number of times over the years. I have never understood why SLU is not in the valley. They are a perfect fit. I know they were at one time in the valley and left for reasons unknown to me. They would make 11 teams in the mvc. Maybe sdsu could make a 12th eventually. While we don't make as much geographic sense as slu we are also not in some far flung region either. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that we get in the valley in 10 or 20 years but we have to start winning some games in men's bb. Hopefully that will be a little easier in the rather weak mid continent conference.

Comment

SLU was a member of the Mo Valley conference from 1937 to 1974 so this would be an improvement IMO. Why they left in 1974 is beyond my research.
      I have a NCAA yearbook from 1991 and that book lists SLU as part Midwestern Collegiate Conference which included Xavier Ohio, Butler, Dayton, Evansville, Loyola and Detriot. I have not followed the building and crumbling of D1 conferences so have no idea on how they ended up in the Atlantic 10.
      I would tend to think that more local opponents will no doubt bring in better crowds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missour...iliate_members

Comment

SLU was then in the Great Midwest with Marquette, DePaul, Cincy, UAB and Memphis. Then the Great Midwest merged with the Metro Conference with Louisville, UNC-Charlotte, East Carolina and others to form Conference USA. After the ACC raided the Big East, the Big East raided Conference USA. Conference USA in turn wanted all schools to have football. The non-football schools then went to the A-10 including SLU.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
        X