• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA hits schools for lagging academic progress

From USA Today (5/2/07):

NCAA hits schools for lagging academic progress

TEAMS FLAGGED BY NCAA

The NCAA has identified 49 teams at 34 different schools as chronic academic laggards, warning them by letter that they face stiffening sanctions next year if they don't improve their Academic Progress Rates (APRs). For the worst offenders, those penalties entail a 10% or greater cut in scholarships and loss of one day of practice per week during the season. The teams flagged Wednesday:

Alabama State: men's golf
    Buffalo: football
    Cal State Northridge: men's basketball
    Centenary (2): men's basketball, baseball
    Chicago State: baseball
    Coppin State: baseball
    East Carolina: men's basketball
    Florida A&M (2): men's and women's swimming
    Florida International: baseball
    Fresno State: men's basketball
    Grambling State: softball
    Hampton: men's basketball
    Idaho State: football
    Indiana State: men's tennis
    Jacksonville State: football
    Louisiana-Lafayette: men's basketball
    Louisiana-Monroe: men's basketball
    Maryland-Eastern Shore: men's basketball
    McNeese State: men's basketball
    Montana State: football
    Morgan State: women's volleyball
    Murray State (2): football, men's cross country
    New Mexico State: baseball
    Nicholls State (4): baseball, men's cross country, women's indoor and outdoor track
    Oral Roberts: baseball
    Prairie View: baseball
    Sacramento State: football
    San Jose State (3): football, men's soccer and cross country
    Southern U. (3): football, men's basketball, baseball
    Temple: football
    Tennessee-Chattanooga (2): football, men's wrestling
    Texas-Arlington: baseball
    Texas Southern (5): men's basketball and tennis, women's soccer and golf, softball
    Weber State: football

By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
    The NCAA stepped up a crackdown on academics Wednesday, subjecting 81 poor-performing teams to immediate scholarship reductions and flagging more than four dozen as chronic offenders that could be hit with harsher sanctions a year from now.
    Four football teams coming off ....
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...pr-rates_N.htm

Re: NCAA hits schools for lagging academic progres

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p...hool_data.html

Someone posted this link on AGS.  You can look at any school's report from here.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I see at least 4 Big Sky football teams listed. Nice standards in that conference. Am I the only one who thinks thats a little embarassing?
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree, MD.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          I see at least 4 Big Sky football teams listed.  Nice standards in that conference.  Am I the only one who thinks thats a little embarassing?
          No, I agree embarassing. It is quite ironic a couple of years ago we would have given anything to get into that conference. I for one would like to thank their presidents for not letting us in. We came out of the deal smelling like roses.
          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
            [quote author=jackmd link=1178159029/0#2 date=1178166622]I see at least 4 Big Sky football teams listed.  Nice standards in that conference.  Am I the only one who thinks thats a little embarassing?
            No, I agree embarassing.  It is quite ironic a couple of years ago we would have given anything to get into that conference.  I for one would like to thank their presidents for not letting us in.  We came out of the deal smelling like roses.  [/quote]

It has to be for once that the Dakota's are too far away arguement, that came from BSC admin people, turns out to be a very good thing. I agree we are in the better position than what we ever dreamed four years ago.

Just based on the one Certification forum that I attended, SDSU Faculty and Admin are commited to following the academic rules 100 per cent. There seems to be wide campus support for the academic regs of D1. I would venture to say, that SDSU will never show up on list if we continue this commitment.

Comment

Working...
            X