UND TO RECEIVE ANOTHER ENGLESTAD GIFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND TO RECEIVE ANOTHER ENGLESTAD GIFT

I dont have any links but I believe this AM, it was announced in Grand Forks that the Ralph Englestad Family Estate has plans of donating another 20 million to UND. Some will be used for athletics, but its hockey only so as has been reported over the air. The gift will not come in a lump sum, but will be given over 10 years at 2 million per year. (Tax planning no doubt)

What has been mentioned on the radio is the gifts will be used to endow hockey scholorships and academic scholarships. So how does it impact football and other sports? It possibly will free up some funds for those sports. Will this change the thinking of the young turks running the student senate and who recently tabled the motion to support of movement to D1 to be financed with student fee increases? Stay tuned.

Re: UND TO RECEIVE ANOTHER ENGLESTAD GIFT

Here is a link from the UND board.

http://www.undalumni.org/NetCommunit...&srcid=183

4 million to endow Mens Hockey scholarships and the rest for academics.

Comment

The forcasted increase in the total athletic budget remains a problem for UND. A few hockey scholarships takes some pressure off, but they still have to find a way to go from 36 scholarships to 63 from other sources such as an increase of student fees. Ralph did not help them out in that sense. Ralph passed away about 4 years agp, but his foundation seems to speak for him and appears to be carrying out his wishes. Part of the gift for academics is to assist minorites, and no doubt the Lakota students are going to be at the top the list. Ordinaryly I would say this is great as they deserve to be helped. In this case, it seems to be a quid pro quid, not sure if I got the Latin phrase correctly, but I am very suspisous here as I tend to think these endowments will help the institution in their legal battle with the NCAA over retaining the logo. To SDSU's advantage, UND is having problems viewing the big picture in their move to D1.

UND is a an amazing institution and has some very good majors. In terms of football, they once hired Jack West away from SDSU in the late 1920's with an offer of $3000 salary increase for Coach West. SDSU could not match and as a result UND dominated the NCC in football for more than a decade. Coach West was a very good coach in his time. Sort of an AJ only Coach West did not look back as he headed North in the late 1920's. Jim Vacura did his thesis many years ago on history of football at SDSU and he has documentation about losing Coach West. The thesis is on file at Briggs Library.

When I first heard of this gift today, I was very concerned as to the impact in moving to D1, but as the details are spelled out, I dont think SDSU has any reason to worry. :

Comment

Wow....that's a huge gift! $4 million to any athletic program scholarhip endowment would be monumental. Now....if the Powerball would help a dude out....I'd match!!!

Comment

Working...
        X