• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle University moving back to D-I

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbaske...eattleu21.html

Seattle U makes plans for a return to Division I
    By DAN RALEY
    P-I REPORTER

Seattle University next week will unveil preliminary plans to restore its once-storied basketball program and the rest of its athletic teams to NCAA Division I status, something the school gave up 26 years ago to the dismay of its followers.

In their golden era, the then-Chieftains advanced to the championship game of the 1958 NCAA Tournament, losing to Kentucky 84-72; supplied first-team All-America selections in Johnny O'Brien and Elgin Baylor, and had countless other notable achievements, including John Tresvant's 40-rebound game, which ranks fourth all-time in college basketball history.

As the more politically correct Redhawks, the program likely will need up to three years to raise the necessary funds and find a new conference -- with the West Coast Conference, in which it was formally aligned, high on its wish list. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Seattle University moving back to D-I

drip, drip, drip . . . will the last team to leave D-II turn out the lights?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eattleu11.html

Seattle U. approves bid for Division I

By Don Shelton
      Times assistant sports Editor

Seattle University's Board of Trustees gave its approval Thursday to apply to the NCAA for a return to Division I athletics, a source in the athletic department said.

A formal announcement could come as early as today, though more likely next week.

The decision could lead to Seattle U. playing Division I sports for the first time in almost 30 years. If the move is approved by the NCAA, the Redhawks could transition to a mixed Division I and II schedule in 2008-09 and could be Division I in all sports as early as 2009-10.

The university, which dropped from Division I in 1980, now competes in NCAA Division II as a member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference with schools such as Seattle Pacific and Western Washington. Seattle U. will remain Division II in 2007-08.

Bill Hogan, Seattle University athletic director, declined to comment.

The athletic-department source confirmed the Board of Trustees approved a recommendation by a 22-person task force that included students, faculty and trustees.

The NCAA will review Seattle U.'s application and athletic program during the next school year.

"Unless something unexpected or unforeseen comes up to stop the process, it's going to happen," the source said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Long wait for eligibility but:

1. Seattle and Utah Valley
        2. North Dakota and South Dakota
        3. SIU-E and Northern Kentucky
        4. OKC and UTPA

Probably too much travel for a coherent basket ball conference but...

Comment

Working...
        X