X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craziness at Chicago State

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch...greg13.article

Bizarre goings-on at Chicago St.
    Basketball coach Jones and his son pay the price when one of his players goes on a rampage. Jones is out of a job, his son beat up twice.

April 13, 2007
    BY GREG COUCH gcouch@suntimes.com

Kevin Jones is out of work, fired as Chicago State's basketball coach. His son, Kevin Jr., who played for his dad, has rehab on his back one day, a court date the next, counseling after that.
    He can't go into a room without making sure the door is locked. He can't get into the shower without creeping up on the curtain and making sure no one is in there already, waiting to beat him up.

He knows ex-teammate Camron Clay, who already allegedly beat him up twice, isn't going to be in his room. His brain tells him that. But he has to check anyway because the feeling is still there.

''Yeah,'' Jones Jr. said the other day while waiting for the judge to call his name at a far South Side courthouse. ''It's just like that.''

So the damage is clear, but the reason is not. Officially, Jones was fired without cause, which is Chicago State's way of working a loophole in Jones' contract that would allow it not to pay the final three years of the deal, worth $85,000 a year.

Without cause. Without reason.

''People don't know what really happened,'' Jones said. ''They think I'm a crazed coach who went after a player. That's not the case at all.

''I didn't do anything wrong, except recruiting that crazy Camron Clay, which cost me my job.''

It's impossible to get all the details because no one knows where Clay is and the school isn't talking. But according to Jones, witnesses and police, Clay flipped out in the locker room at Michigan State, tried to beat up Jones, went home and beat up Jones Jr. twice. And then the school suspended Jones and told him if he talked about this publicly, he'd be fired. So he kept his mouth shut, and then the school fired him anyway. Now Jones has no name, and his son is messed up.

And Chicago State decided not to pay him. For no reason. Jones has sued the school for his money, and Jones Jr. has sued it for failing to protect him from the second incident. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Craziness at Chicago State

Ties Savannah State for biggest basket case in DI.

Comment

Re: Craziness at Chicago State

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
      Ties Savannah State for biggest basket case in DI.
      No not a tie, as I think Savannah State programs are struggling because of funding, and have not had incidents like those at Chicago State. When individuals on a team can not avoid incidents like this, its a very sad situation. Heaven help the next coach, he needs all the support and help he can get. The worst part is there are team members who have done their part but have to live under this cloud of negative publicity. Those athletes will probably move on depending where they are in terms of the progress of obtaining their degree.

I dont think either institution has had a legecy of support from their alums financially and otherwise. I see the Chicago State coach was receiving all of 85k which is not good for a D1 coach. If it were not for Chicago State's troubles, SDSU would probably still be looking for a conference.

I think SDSU can be thankful that we have a close commuity in terms of coaches, faculty and boosters who are determined to make the move to D1 work.

Comment

Working...
      X