• Show
Clear All

• Bryant University moving to D-I

http://www.projo.com/sports/mikeszos...6.330fe3d.html

Bryant giving serious look at moving up to Division I

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, June 8, 2007

BY MIKE SZOSTAK

Journal Sports Writer

Buoyed by having the best athletics program in the Division II Northeast-10 Conference three of the last four years — and missing the Presidents’ Cup by only a point the fourth year — Bryant University has formally begun exploring a move to Division I, the highest in intercollegiate athletics.

The NCAA yesterday accepted Bryant’s application to begin an exploratory year, the first step in a five-year transition process. Bryant officials have until next June to intensify discussions with conferences and decide whether to apply for admission. If they decide to proceed, they will file another application with the NCAA and, if accepted, would begin a four-year process during which they would upgrade their schedules with Division I opponents.

Starting with the 2008-2009 academic year, the Bulldogs would be ineligible for Northeast-10 and Division II championships and any Division I championship. Bryant teams would become championship eligible in the 2012-2013 academic year.

“Filing this application shows the seriousness of our intent,” Bill Smith, director of athletics, said yesterday.

Bryant has had informal discussions with the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), Northeast Conference and Patriot League. . . . (read more)

Go State!
Working...
X