• Show
Clear All

• Arkansas State to change nickname

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...597716,00.html

Fans react to ASU's proposed name change

By Scott Cacciola
    Contact
    June 22, 2007

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Kay Vance wheeled her 2-year-old grandson's baby carriage through Indian Book & Supply on Tuesday morning and stuffed it full of seat cushions, mini football jerseys, T-shirts and coffee mugs. She made sure all her merchandise featured the word "Indians."

"We figured everything was going to sell out," she said, "so we wanted to get down here."

By here, Vance meant this shop on East Johnson Avenue, less than a mile from Arkansas State's sun-parched campus. Vance, a 1960 graduate, had been watching the evening news when she learned that ASU's Mascot Review Committee had voted to retire the school's nickname. The board of trustees is expected to meet in September to discuss the committee's recommendation, and there is the distinct possibility -- indeed, the probability -- that the ASU Indians will be no more by 2008.

Not everyone in Jonesboro is thrilled with the situation.

"If we're not Indians," said Rosalyn Washington, the director of general merchandise at Indian Book & Supply, "what are we going to be?"  .  .  .

"We always thought we were honoring the Indians," Vangilder said. "We never thought it was a derogatory thing."

Since August 2005, the NCAA had been putting pressure on Arkansas State to drop its nickname, considered offensive by many Native Americans. ASU landed on a list of nine Division 1 schools that the NCAA claimed were in violation of its ban of ethnically "hostile" or "abusive" nicknames. . . . (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Arkansas State to change nickname

Arkansas State was the first team to play in CAS. That would be 1962. A student at the time, its a game I remember well as we had a very good team but lost to the Indians 10-7.

Also one of Ralph Ginn's successors' after Craigthorpe left SDSU for Arkansas State and had a very successful career. I believe his name was Conrad.

It's got to be tough to lose their mascot, a name that they have used for decades, but probably very little thought about who it affected.

Maybe they should rename themselves the Vikings. That will work.

Comment

And den watch all dem Norveegans get hot under da collar, don'cha know!
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Here we go again...To hell with history, tradition and memories.

It's only a matter of time before Milwaukee Brewers have to change their name as well. I suppose Marquette could offer a few suggestions as they have discarded many monikers over the last few years.

Comment

Working...
        X