• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of New Haven going D-I

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....7592&rfi=6

UNH seeks feelers for D-I status

Sean O'Rourke, College Sports Editor
    07/10/2007

WEST HAVEN — The University of New Haven has begun the process of elevating its athletic programs to the Division I level and has made the commitment to revive its football program, which has been defunct since 2003.

New Haven met the June 1 deadline set by the NCAA to begin the process of reclassifying from its current status as a Division II program to Division I.

The school paid an application fee of $15,000 and was accepted by the Division I Management Council Membership Subcommittee to begin an exploratory year in 2007-08. If New Haven meets the exploratory qualifications — which includes attending the NCAA convention and compliance seminars — then it will file another application with the NCAA to begin a four-year process of upgrading to full Division I status.

"During the exploratory period, it's just that — you explore," said Debbie Chin, New Haven's athletic director. "At the end of the period, we will make a decision whether or not to reclassify (to Division I), which would start in 2008-09."

If needed, Chin said New Haven could petition for another exploratory year. If New Haven started the four-year process in June 2008, then it would be able to compete as a championship member in Division I during the 2012-13 academic year.

New Haven would be unable to compete in any East Coast Conference, Division II or Division I postseason tournaments beginning in 2008-09, a period that would last four years.

The university has hired Carr Sports Associates in Jacksonville, Fla., as a consultant to do a report on the feasibility of going Division I. The report is expected to be completed in the next two weeks. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Working...
X