Northern Colorado budget woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Colorado budget woes

On the same day that Terry and the Argus run a story about our success, I find a story about our old conference mate running in the opposite direction:

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2...ORTS/107040106

Does UNC's recent budget shortfall cast a long shadow?

Matt Schuman, (Bio) mschuman@greeleytribune.com
    July 4, 2007

The University of Northern Colorado is slicing $400,000 from its athletic budget, but athletic director Jay Hinrichs is confident the short-term cuts will lead to a long-term solution for the UNC athletic department.

The Bears made the cuts to reach their fiscal budget of just over $6.4 million for the 2007-08 fiscal year. The cuts are a 17 percent reduction from a year ago. UNC is the lowest-funded athletic department in the Big Sky Conference.

"This fiscal year will be the toughest year we've had to face," Hinrichs said.

Cuts to administrative support, travel costs and scholarships were made to reach the budget total. Hinrichs said he started in March working with the department heads asking them what they needed to run their programs. He then went back to them and asked them to reduce their budgets in most cases. Coaches were allowed to decide where they were going to cut in their own programs.

"There are certain things as a coach and sometimes as an administrator that you have control over and there are some things you don't have control over and your budget is one of them," UNC men's basketball coach Tad Boyle said. "What we have to do -- and we are not the only school that has to deal with it -- we have to learn to do more with less." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Northern Colorado budget woes

Do you think maybe the Big Sky has some regret over who was added to the conference and who wasn't! I'm glad things played out the way they did!

Comment

This situation is kind of surprise to me, but I have not been following UNC since they left the NCC. It takes more than generous financial support from the Monforts and the Coors. What have they been doing wrong that SDSU has not?

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        This situation is kind of surprise to me, but I have not been following UNC since they left the NCC. It takes more than generous financial support from the Monforts and the Coors. What have they been doing wrong that SDSU has not?
        One thing they have done wrong is that they jumped D-1 without even really having a plan. I don't think UNC had a consulting firm like Carr. This is one more example that really shows how well our move has gone.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

With two D-I programs in the state grabbing much of the attention, I wondered how UNC would compete for dollars and press. The answer may be: not very well.

Comment

The reality is that UNC wasn't that great of a D-II school. Joe Glenn put together a good football program and they kept it going for awhile after he left, but beyond that . . . not so much. Best of luck to the Bears I hope they get their act together.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
              With two D-I programs in the state grabbing much of the attention, I wondered how UNC would compete for dollars and press. The answer may be: not very well.
              Four D-I programs in Colorado: CU, CSU, Air Force, and Denver.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                The reality is that UNC wasn't that great of a D-II school.  Joe Glenn put together a good football program and they kept it going for awhile after he left, but beyond that  .  .  . not so much.  Best of luck to the Bears I hope they get their act together.

Go State!  
                When Glenn won the two National champ I recall a number of the NCC members started to look at what UNC was doing in recruiting. Not that there was any thing illegal going on, but they found was that UNC had top D2 players and did very little traveling to recruit them.

At the D2 level UNC had no competition in recruiting thorough the state of Colorado, Eastern New Mexico and parts of Wyoming. I recall NDSU went out got a few recruits. One of them was a running back that was a backup to Lamar Gordon.I want say his name was Samuels. SDSU had a guy name Brown, who had speed, I can't recall his full name either.
                Augie found a good kicker from Colorado,  The names all kind of escape me.

The point I am trying to get at is that I suppose at the next level there is more competition for the in-state recruits, and with less funds available for recruiting, they dont have the quality that Glenn was able to find without too much effort.

So no doubt having the other four D1 schools does not help but i think that the size of the budget is probably a bigger part of the problem. They need a real shot in the arm for raising new revenue. It going to be hard to stay in the Big Sky with that low of a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
                  [quote author=Haldersham link=1184001823/0#2 date=1184004404]This situation is kind of surprise to me, but I have not been following UNC since they left the NCC. It takes more than generous financial support from the Monforts and the Coors. What have they been doing wrong that SDSU has not?
                  One thing they have done wrong is that they jumped D-1 without even really having a plan.  I don't think UNC had a consulting firm like Carr.  This is one more example that really shows how well our move has gone.  [/quote]

UNC had/ has a plan for the move to division I, I think the main problem is turnover in the Athletic Department. If I had to guess the administration that was in place during the study. Hank Brown - President and Jim Fallis A.D. (now at NAU) are gone. Mr. Fallis was number cruncher from what I have been told. After they both left I am not sure they kept the same plan or started fresh. Probably a combination of the two. Plus the development and marketing people are all new. They have also had a big turnover in coaching. I would think it would be hard to establish relationships with large donors w/o any consistancy with the Administration. I do believe the people in place if given time and funding they will be okay. Facility improvements are being done. I think they are moving forward, but the city will have to start to back them. Hopefully they will.

If I was in charge I would spend some time promoting their opponents (similar to what the NJ Nets did in basketball to fill its arena). Denver and Colorado is quite the melting pot with lots of transplants. I would assist UM for example to get their Colorado living alumni to games in Greeley. Work with each schools Alumni office have pre/post game festivities and fill seats (tickets = revenue) in your home venues.
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    [quote author=JackJD link=1184001823/0#4 date=1184007351]With two D-I programs in the state grabbing much of the attention, I wondered how UNC would compete for dollars and press.  The answer may be: not very well.
                    Four D-I programs in Colorado:  CU, CSU, Air Force, and Denver. [/quote]

You're absolutely correct.  It seems the State of Colorado's pie is a limited size and UNC's piece didn't change much with the move to DI.

Comment

A few articles from the Greeley Tribune talking about UNC baseball.

Bears search for home, have high hopes

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2...ORTS/107150123

Strong past can lead way for UNC in future on diamond

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2...ORTS/107150124

UNC READY TO TAKE FLIGHT?http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20070715/SPORTS/107150122
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                      X